It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:16 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Paul
State: Illinois
Focus: Repair
I'm wanting to add an inspection or bore scope to my tool set for doing inspections in instruments with limited access. I did a quick Google search and was feeling like I was getting in a bit over my head with so many choices. I would want to take still images with it and am willing to spend more for good resolution. My phone is an Android and it seems like it would be handy to have it interface with that, but I wouldn't rule out an outfit that came with it's own monitor.

Any suggestions, insights, things to avoid, would be very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:58 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Barry
Last Name: Daniels
I bought a cheap one that uses an app on my iPhone, but I didn't find it that useful. After looking at the current ones on Amazon I see that some are articulating. They are more expensive, but I think the articulating feature may be what's needed. When you are working in a guitar body it is difficult to aim a non-articulating scope onto the area of interest and hold it there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:26 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi Barry, thanks for chiming in.

Yes, I saw that two lens articulating models are available, and also appealing to me. Guitars with regular round sound holes are no issue with lights and mirrors. I get scrap mirrored plastic from a local plastics store, and just cut whatever shape and size I need. I'm more leaning toward a scope of some kind for mandolins, ukes, viol family instruments and the occasional odd duck. I worked on a recently laud with a really small sound hole, they wanted a K&K piezo, 3 dot PU. I just had to use the force to place the dots. Couple of years ago I did some major crack repairs to a very nice Kaloshek Hurdy Gurdy. It would have been extremely helpful for that project as well.

I'll probably inquire at the Maestronet site as well, it's all violin topics over there. I just figured there would be a few tool Nerds here with some first hand experience using inspection or bore scopes for instrument repair work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:48 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I ordered a bore scope that I think will be useful for instrument work. The Depstech name turned up repeatedly using generic Google searches. They where also recommended by a person over at the Mandolin cafe. What I came to realize when researching bore scopes, is that most of them have very short focal ranges, 1" to 3", thereabouts. I imagined myself trying to image something inside of a double bass and the light bulb went on that I should shop for scopes with longer focal lengths. Depstech only has one model with a focal range of 1.18" to 15.7", that will work with my Android phone. The same model also has one of the most narrow camera ends offered on it, 5.5mm. Most of them are 8mm and larger. I'll know more after I get to try it out, but I've convinced myself that the longer focal length will be key in having this be a useful tool for instrument applications, we'll see.

https://depstech.com/products/wifi-endoscope-wf025?gad=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIstLmpbXz_wIVvvfjBx223w_OEAAYAiAAEgI-YPD_BwE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Brian
City: U.P.
State: Michigan
Focus: Build
I think you'll like it Paul. I bought a Depstech DS300 a few months ago but haven't had a chance to use it yet in guitars, so I didn't comment earlier. I like that it auto focuses and the depth of field is more than adequate.

Only thing I don't like is the long stiff cable length that gets in the way a bit.

I've had a USB scope, actually a USB microscope that you could dial up to 200X that I used for years, it had a soft cable that fit well thru the soundhole with my arm so I could see what I was doing in real time. But as you've stated, keeping it aimed and focused could be a hassle, and required a tablet or laptop to view.

I put sound ports in most guitars making access for the cam and my arm easier.

Brian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:23 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Focus: Build
I, too, bought a Depstech borescope. I'm pleased. There's quite an assortment out there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:46 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I'm quite pleased with the new Depstech WF025 scope and feel like I made the right choice to go with the model that has the most focal range. Some of the reviews expressed frustration over the software, installation, couldn't find where there images went, dark screens, WiFi problems, ect. I had none of these issues. I found it easy to install on my Android phone and couple up with the WiFi. It created a folder for the images in my gallery, so the images and video goes right where I would want it. Happy camper!