Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:33 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Anyone see this happen? Its happened to me twice in the last week. Customer calls back a few days later and says there is buzzing on the open strings so I ask him to bring it back and sure enough the D string on one and then the E on another are way too low. I cannot figure out what is going on. I play the guitars and make sure everything is tip top shape before they pick them up.

Only thing I can think of is maybe after filing the slots some debris was left in the slot that worked it's way out? I always blow air after filing but still, it's the only thing I can think of. And if that is the case why now all of a sudden twice in one week?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
Can it be that the bottom of those slots were not wide enough so over time the strings work themself down to the bottom of the slot. But right after setting them they were OK.

These users thanked the author johnparchem for the post (total 2): joshnothing (Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:11 pm) • jfmckenna (Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:01 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Bob
Last Name: Gramann
City: Fredericksburg
State: VA
Zip/Postal Code: 22408
A change in humidity can change the thickness of the fretboard, but the debris in the slot is a good theory. I think you would have noticed if the nut wasn’t totally settled in its slot. Every now and then, I get a blank that’s a bit porous in a spot or two. I’ve had them crumble at the edge.

These users thanked the author bobgramann for the post: jfmckenna (Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:20 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
You haven't told us what the nut was made of...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ah yes they were both Gibson's so it was what ever plastic it is that they use.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

johnparchem wrote:
Can it be that the bottom of those slots were not wide enough so over time the strings work themself down to the bottom of the slot. But right after setting them they were OK.

That is a good hypothesis too. I do use gauged files now and make sure to cut a bit wider then the string gauge but I suppose I could have grabbed the wrong file too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:51 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
This is possible if one forgets to set relief before, before cutting nut slots.

So we cut them low when there is too much relief and then when we (or the client) straightens the neck some the slots are too low.

As such I always set relief and sometimes with a bit less relief than I really want so I have a cushion on cutting the nut slots too low.

Another possibility is the slot was not relieved enough for the string. For example for a .013" string I cut the slot to handle a .014 and maybe a .015". My technique is to scrape the sides, left and right of the nut slot on the first couple of down strokes. This is also why we don't like needle files for nut slots, V shaped slots pinch and bind strings and strings may not sit in the bottom of the slot.

I had one a few weeks ago that someone had filled with superglue and dust which never lasts especially with wound stings and a tremolo.... I didn't recognize that I was cutting into a fill that would not last and it didn't, instrument came back and I cleaned out all the dust and CA and did dental fills, problem solved.

You might have had some prior work with a substandard fill that would not last with an owner with new found excitement about playing his/her guitar.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Pmaj7 (Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:45 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yeah could be. I'm just bothered that it happened twice like all of a sudden I am doing something wrong or something is wrong with my files. I did check the relieve on return and it was the same. Bah! Oh well. I'll probably just have to let this one go without resolution.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Hesh (Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:06 am)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: peter
Last Name: havriluk
City: granby
State: ct
Zip/Postal Code: 06035
Time to invoke Occam's Razor? V-shaped slots would be susceptible to string vibration working the string down. Any idea if any strings liked to go flat more than the others on the instrument?

These users thanked the author phavriluk for the post: Hesh (Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:21 am)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:24 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Had a PRS in that had profoundly.... V shaped nut slots and you have to be very careful because as I reshaped them to a U shape that can accommodate one string size larger (that's how I cut slots) progress was very fast. Kind of like drilling with a pilot hole.

So thinking about Peter's post here I can see that happening too. Good thinking Peter.