PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I've got a top crack to fix that runs just under the edge of a pickguard. The pickguard isn't lifting at all. Any suggestions on how to remove the pickguard without tearing out a whole bunch of the top?

I may not have to remove the pickguard at all, I haven't looked closely at the crack yet, but thought whether I do or don't it's something I haven't had to do so might as well ask because I probably will eventually.

I thought I'd lay a towel on top and then use an iron to heat the glue.

Once the pickguards off and I want to re-install what do people usually use as an adhesive?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:35 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
Do not use an iron to do this. Ever.

Naptha (mineral spirits) dissolves adhesives without heat. Squirt a little under the guard and reapply as you gently peel it off.

As a cautionary tale about heat. I had a client that brought in a mid 2000s HD28V with a gorgeous sunburst. He had tried to heat the guard to peel it off, he got it hot and when he peeled the guard off he also removed a 1" chunk of the finish with it. He ended up having to send it to Martin for repair.

To reinstall I've always used those adhesive pickguard sheets that LMII sells.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 2): dpetrzelka (Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:44 pm) • Conor_Searl (Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:19 pm)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:10 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
I used a heat gun to remove a p/g stuck on with double stick tape from a guitar with a catalyzed modern finish. I then used naphtha to remove all the sticky residue and put new double stick tape on it when I reapplied it. When my old Martin developed a pick guard crack I had it removed, repaired, finished and a new one applied by someone who had experience with pick guitars applied directly to the wood - I didn't want to risk doing that myself.

I have one other p/g removal and reattachment - it was very badly curled, the owner had "fixed" it with some epoxy or something, it stared coming off again. I did manage to remove it with heat and pallet knives, repaired the damaged wood, put a few coats of lacquer on, straightened the rather ornate p/g and attempted to reattach it with double stick tape. It was mostly a cluster.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:28 am)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:11 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
double post, don't see how to delete it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:29 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
It ended up peeling off super easy without any extra help. I know the naptha trick for getting rid of the glue. On to fixing the crack!

These users thanked the author Conor_Searl for the post: DanKirkland (Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:51 pm)