Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Les Paul spot repair
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:22 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hi brains trust, I had the neck on my Les Paul refinished about a year ago (another story altogether) in nitro, and subsequently lent it to a friend who somehow managed to put a significant ding in the back of the neck. I drop filled this with nitro, levelled it with a razor and then blocked it back with 800, subsequently going straight through what turned out to be an incredibly thin layer of clear. I should have stopped straight away but didn’t. The photo shows where it’s at now. I’ve previously done successful tint touch ups but looking at this do you reckon I’ll ever get it close to invisible, or am I going to have to strip the neck and start again?

If the latter, do Gibson use a tinted grain filler that adds a base colour to the mahogany on their cherry red finishes, or do they grain fill, rub back to bare wood and then shoot sealer and cherry red followed by clear?

I haven’t gone through to wood yet on this. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Les Paul spot repair
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:23 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Focus: Repair
I've been working on something similar with decent results. Same color and everything.

These users thanked the author Chowlie for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:43 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
But that acoustic is a maple neck. While done with the same materials at hand they are finished differently.

Neck was refinished? Then what big G does at the factory when they finish may not even be relevant anymore.....

What I see is a dark brown grain filler with a cherry tint sprayed over. If you stop right there, do minor prep work, this should be able to be touched up and blended out with an airbrush. I would then likely shoot a large portion of the back of the neck again with clear before buffing. Keep sanding and you will need to deal with the filler too.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

These users thanked the author B. Howard for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:30 am)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:33 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

B. Howard wrote:
But that acoustic is a maple neck. While done with the same materials at hand they are finished differently.

Neck was refinished? Then what big G does at the factory when they finish may not even be relevant anymore.....

What I see is a dark brown grain filler with a cherry tint sprayed over. If you stop right there, do minor prep work, this should be able to be touched up and blended out with an airbrush. I would then likely shoot a large portion of the back of the neck again with clear before buffing. Keep sanding and you will need to deal with the filler too.

Thanks very much, that was my sense. Should have cleared over my drop fill but I didn’t realise the clear was so thin. Having just stripped a Studio it seems Gibson put it on quite thick.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:08 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Pretty happy with that! The original repair is still slightly visible but I think that’s unavoidable due to the depth of the ding. I guess I could have steamed it out but then you’re getting into back to bare wood territory, and I doubt the job would look anywhere near as good. By the time I shoot some clear over this and flat it off / polish back up I reckon it will be good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
You're hired, Bosco!!!!!!

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:50 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Looks good!

These users thanked the author SteveSmith for the post: Bosco Birdswood (Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:53 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Chris Pile wrote:
You're hired, Bosco!!!!!!

Haha thanks, Chris! I’ll be honest in saying I’m pretty sure I just lucked out and ordered the exact same pre-tinted heritage cherry red nitro that the previous repairer used. I was expecting to have to add some yellow but I just diluted it with clear and shot until it blended.

TRADE SECRET: I used Blu-Tack to mask off the area of the ding that retained its colour to avoid making it darker. It actually worked amazingly well!

I can’t recommend the ANI R150 mini gun enough btw :)