PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:36 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
I've been working on this neck re-set for a while now, I finally got the fit nice and tight and shimmed properly but now my center-line is off.

I still need to take a little material off the neck because the neck is still a little underset, so I think I still have time to address the messed up center line. Two questions, to address this do I simply take material off the treble side of the cheeks to swing the neck back that way? And is there a calculation that will tell me how much to take off or is it just a little bit at a time until its back to the right place?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:16 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Tim
Last Name: Benware
City: Creedmoor
State: NC
Zip/Postal Code: 27522
Focus: Build
If you are looking down the centerline from the endpin to headstock, sand the cheek on the side it is off center to allow it to swing back the other way. As little under set as that looks you are right about getting it on center and set to the right height.

These users thanked the author Ben-Had for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:22 pm 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
As with any joinery just remember that you can always remove more material but it's way harder to put it back on. Remove a few bits at a time until you get it right, and yes you are right you remove wood from the cheeks slowly until you get the alignment right. You might try undercutting the cheeks slightly so that you don't have as much wood to work away and thus you can be a little more precise.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:34 am)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Lay a straightedge on each sides of the neck and mark where they strike the bridge. Take material off the check until the marks are equi-distant from the outside pin holes. Shim the joint to tighten it up.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:27 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I've never used any calculations for any part of neck resetting. There probably is a way to do it but the angle would be so small it's just not practical to measure and cut it. As DanKirkland said, just go easy till you get it right. If you have a nice tight fit with the shims then fit it up and do your center line measurements, as well as the neck set measurements. Then just shave a bit off. I personally use a chisel because I find that sanding sticks tend to round things off on the edges. I think most people think that you have to remove a lot of wood to set the angle right. It's really quite the opposite, so go slow.

FWIW I just use a pieces of string and stretch it from the low and high E-String at the nut to the bridge pin hole. When they look even on both edges of the fretboard I'm done.

These users thanked the author jfmckenna for the post: Conor_Searl (Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:37 am 
Koa
Koa

State: Texas
Focus: Repair
jfmckenna wrote:
I've never used any calculations for any part of neck resetting.

I do the same, I recall I had a client once that was OBSESSED with the amount of projection that the neck had. The conversation went along the lines of.

Client: Now when you reset this neck, I've measured it all out exactly, I only need another 2/64 of projection added over the body
Me: Ok, why that number?
Client: Because that's what it needs
Me: Is it hard to play?
Client: No, I like the way it plays, the projection just isn't right

You can fill in the rest. I decided to turn the job down in the end.

These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: jfmckenna (Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:10 am)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Does anyone have a good concise reset tutorial?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:33 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Conor
Last Name: Searl
City: Duncan
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V9L 2E5
pat macaluso wrote:
Does anyone have a good concise reset tutorial?

The Stew Mac DVD with Dan Erlewine and Brian Galloup is great. I've googled youtube videos of John Hall teaching it which were also very good. I used the resources on Frets.com and bryankimsey.com, and found their step by step pictorials to be really helpful for the way I learn. Not to mention all the responses on here to answer the questions either not covered or I missed in the above resources.

Each one of those tutorials I mentioned could be considered a concise neck reset tutorial but I've found they each approach it slightly differently and watching each of them tackle the same problem differently has given me a more holistic understanding of what it is I'm trying to achieve. In the end I probably appropriated bits from each of them.

It remains to be seen if I win in the end. :D