Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:59 pm 
I bought this guitar for a relatively good deal about a year about.
It played great , had a good neck angle and sounded nice for a giant ply archtop
oh and it's beeeautiful!

Anyway it had an unsightly gap between the heel of the neck and the body. this was obviously scaring off most buyers so I got it a decent price.
It seemed really solid, wasn't moving and had good action and bridge height, I reconfigured it with a pair of surface mount hilotrons. (I kept all the original gear and the conversion was very minimal (two tiny screw holes to mount the bridge hilotron)
I also took measurements at the heel and kept an eye on the gap.
I've played it for the last year at home and many many rehearsals, a couple of recording sessions and recently a couple of shows. Solid the whole time. Nice playing and sounding guitar.
However it took a tumble in rehearsal recently..ooops! and I noticed the action had got .3 mmm higher at the 12th fret and the gap looked a little bigger. So i loosen off the strings and gave the neck a wiggle to see if it was moving, it did a little crackle and then easily wiggled in two directions. I did bit more gentle wiggling(of the guitar...) and then gave the heel a tap with a deadblow hammer (I used a cork sided ebony sanding block to protect the heel)
A couple of taps and it slid right out, to reveal cardboard shims on both mating surfaces.
No wood loss or finish problems. YAY
I have a receipt from work done in 2012 which included a 'neck reset'
I'm going to clean it up and start dry fitting it with hardwood shims, probably mahogany or maple.
My goal is to get a nice solid reset with a good angle and a tight fit of the heel to the body, unlike previously. Pictures (in reverse order..oops)
-As bought 1955 convertible
-heel gap close up
-converted to a 2 pickup guitar with custom made Brazillian rosewood synchro style bridge, pickguard, pickup surrounds and switch.
- in pieces
-close up of dovetail

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:31 am 
Not too much interest in this post but I guess I wasn't posing any questions. This was my first neck reset and I was quite happy with the results.
Cardboard shims were removed and replaced with mahogany
Then they were slowly shaped to a tight fit by making the mortise with pencil, fitting , taking down high spots etc etc. the result was a very tight dry fit.
A previous reset 6 years ago(or the condition necessitating it) had left the finish chipped(but repaired around the reset so I didn't have to worry about the results. however I had some paint that was mixed up by the paint department at my work that I used to touch up the results. Here's a picture of the resulting join (prior to touch up and glue clean up0and the guitar. It's much tighter , has a better angle and is perfectly lined up on the body. Also the one main factor that had dropped it in value gas been rectified(large heel gap) and even better I have peace of mind regarding the integrity of the neck joint. It can go back to being one of my main gigging instruments

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:26 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Tyler
State: Texas
Nice work! Gig on!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita