Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:34 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Focus: Build
I found a forgotten Sigma guitar that needs some TLC in a closet. My Mom bought at a yard sale at least 20 years ago for $5. Internet searches haven't turned up anything with the information I have, so I'm hoping somebody here can help.

It appears to be a classical guitar with three nylon and 3 rusty steel strings and a classical bridge. There headstock is slotted without a logo.

There is a white sticker inside under the sound hole with the following:

- The "Sigma" or sideways M symbol (it just looks like a sideways letter 'M') with the word SIGMA directly under it.
- The text:
IMPORTED AND DISTRIBUTED BY
CF MARTIN & COMPANY
NAZARETH, PENNSYLVANIA, U.S.A.
- MODEL CB-5 (stamped in a box - by hand... the whole box is crooked)
- AC-10 (assume this is a serial number... the 'AC' is smaller than the '10' and none of the characters are in a straight line with the 'O' being over a small part of the word 'PENNSYLVANIA')

I've built a few Ukulele's in the last year, and have repaired a few guitars in the past. Since I play, I'd love to refurbish this one, but would really like to find out more about it!

Any help offered will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Matt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Allan
Last Name: Bacon
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Sigma was Martin's foray into Japanese built guitars in 1970. The rumor was that Martin made copies of several of their jigs and these were used to produce some of the upper end of the Sigma line. I had a DR-7 that was supposed to be a clone of a D-18 (?). It was a great axe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma_Guitars
http://www.vintageguitar.com/25124/sigma-by-martin/

Sorry, I know I had better links, but deleted them when I sold mine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:52 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Thank you for taking the time to respond Fumblefinger!

The "Type Zero" label pictured in the VintageGuitar.com link you included is the only thing I've come across matching this guitar. I can't find any reference at all to a model beginning with 'CB'.

It is a pretty big guitar with a solid spruce top and the slotted headstock is carved at the top.

Still searching...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:22 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
I'm guessing that the model number stamp is two stamps that overlapped should be a CS35 overlap the S and 3 and you have an 8.

According to my Martin's Technical Reference~Johnson/Boak this would be a Shenandoah series and not a Sigma/Martin

Made only in 1987, one of 25 produced
These were considered custom models according to the text which got extra inlay and ebony FB & bridge.

Bodies and necks were made in Japan and shipped to Nazareth PA where there where finished and assembled. Another main difference being back and sides on these are laminate as opposed to solid wood as on a Martin

they made 3 other CS models in the series at 25 each that year, 18, 28, 35 & 28H but no mention of what sizes etc any of these CS models were actually based on.

That's it, that's all I know.....

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:35 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thank you, B. Howard. Sounds pretty cool if you are correct!

I'm traveling now, but have pictures of the tag and headstock with me, but I evidently don't know how to post onto this forum (is there a guide for how to post pics?).

The digits are clearly arranged in a format that this represents: ##-# , which I read as CB-5.

However, the 'B' is not perfectly defined, and could possibly be an 8... The dash is low, but is definitely a dash or a period. The 'C and the number '5' are definite, even in the photo.

The slotted headstock is carved, and to describe it in text I would say it's reminiscent of both the letter 'M' and stylized mountains. I searched, but can't find any images similar to it on Google.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
This is the official Martin production chart for sigma and Shenandoah., Notice that no model has a ##-# designation......
You will likely need to contact Martin for anything else.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:47 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks again... I'll keep trying. So far it seems like this one may be an oddity or a test model, of which it seems they let quite a few hit the streets.

Because of your information, I looked at my photo of the label again, and there is no mention of where it was imported from, just that it was "Imported & Distributed by C.F. Martin & Company"

Thank you for your help and the chart! (How do you post a picture like that? Is there a guide or instructions somewhere?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:30 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Lincoln
Last Name: Goertzen
City: Fort St John
State: BC
When you hit New Post, under the message box there is an Upload Aatachment option. You would choose the picture file you want to upload, and follow the steps. I haven't uploaded one for a while- I think the system won't allow you to upload too large a picture. Add the file, add a comment if you wish, and you're good to go.

These users thanked the author Lincoln Goertzen for the post: TimberTones (Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:04 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:51 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Last Name: Veedr
City: Trenton
State: Ont.
Zip/Postal Code: k8v 5w2
1st post.
Let me start by saying sorry about the derail of the thread.

Quite an long time ago I had a very odd sigma electric guitar.
It could be roughly described as a pointed; but softened by radius; angular double cut away solid body, a maple arch top cap and mahogany body and set mahogany neck (more on the neck joint later). Headstock was 3+3. Gold hardware with an eagles beak tail piece with individual string tuning screws on the tail piece. The tail of the body had a small tail(?) slightly off center (asymmetric) and slightly hooked, created by 2 intersecting large radius cutaways, plus a body relief on the back . The neck was very slim and the neck joint flared into the body, creating great access. It had a burst style finish and figured maple.
Unfortunately this guitar no longer exists, due to a friend deciding to do a neck bend on the guitar and destroying the neck. I ended up stripping the guitar for parts and doing a tear down of the guitar to see how the neck joint was accomplished. The thick finish (1/8") reveled 4 brass screws plus a glued neck joint. I've never been been able to find anything about this guitar.