Official Luthiers Forum!

Solely owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 am


All times are UTC - 5 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:54 am
Posts: 165
State: Texas
Country: United States
Focus: Repair
I've recently come into the possession of an older Guild D-6. It's in need of the full works (neck reset, bridge reset, replace truss rod, etc...) The neck isn't too terribly out of whack but it's enough to warrant the work to make it a player.

I want to use it as a learning opportunity as I've never done a reset on a Guild before but I've only read that they can be problematic. If I total the neck I have a backup plan.

Besides taking it slow and steady what are some tips that you guys do to keep things going smoothly with these? The heel is pretty thin but there should be enough material present to pull it off.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline
Koa
Koa

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:46 pm
Posts: 903
First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
I haven't done a rest of a Guild but I turned down a beautiful maple 12 string about a year ago. One thing that I am aware of is that at least some Guilds have the finish (lacquer) applied after the neck was installed - you will have to scribe around the heel and there probably will be some finish damage. Otherwise I think its a straightforward dovetail


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:53 pm 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 9898
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
Country: United States
Status: Professional
Guild finished their guitars with the necks on making scoring the finish and usually a goodly amount of finish touch-up standard. They are also well known for gluing the cheeks to the sides with way too much glue.

What results with Guild's very thin heel design is that the heels often break or crack in the removal process.

That's what causes the difficulty in neck resets with Guilds but the fun does not stop there. Because of the higher than normal likelihood of cracking or breaking the heel, having to cut the finish back in the filet that forms from finishing with the neck on substantial finish repair is usually the hardest part of the job.

FYI we do neck resets all of the time including a Guild once in a while when we need the business and don't want to refer it to someone that we don't like.... When my personal D-25 was due that I had bought new in 1977 when home from overseas on leave I decided to do myself a favor and sell the thing with full disclosure that it needed a neck reset AND agreement from the buyer that I would not do the reset so that he had to take it elsewhere. When I started building 12 - 13 years ago I started playing my own stuff exclusively as a motivation to improve anyway so the guitar was no longer used by me.

There is experience to be gained resetting these just get some Xanax or Valium from your Doc and know in advance that stuff will happen that you are not happy about.... But, nonetheless it is a conventional dovetail making fitting, removing, resetting, the fret work that should accompany a well done reset and a new nut all valuable experience.

Good luck and hopefully with eyes wide open you will enjoy the experience more so than finding out some of this stuff the hard way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:54 am
Posts: 165
State: Texas
Country: United States
Focus: Repair
Hesh wrote:
Guild finished their guitars with the necks on making scoring the finish and usually a goodly amount of finish touch-up standard. They are also well known for gluing the cheeks to the sides with way too much glue.

What results with Guild's very thin heel design is that the heels often break or crack in the removal process.

That's what causes the difficulty in neck resets with Guilds but the fun does not stop there. Because of the higher than normal likelihood of cracking or breaking the heel, having to cut the finish back in the filet that forms from finishing with the neck on substantial finish repair is usually the hardest part of the job.

FYI we do neck resets all of the time including a Guild once in a while when we need the business and don't want to refer it to someone that we don't like.... When my personal D-25 was due that I had bought new in 1977 when home from overseas on leave I decided to do myself a favor and sell the thing with full disclosure that it needed a neck reset AND agreement from the buyer that I would not do the reset so that he had to take it elsewhere. When I started building 12 - 13 years ago I started playing my own stuff exclusively as a motivation to improve anyway so the guitar was no longer used by me.

There is experience to be gained resetting these just get some Xanax or Valium from your Doc and know in advance that stuff will happen that you are not happy about.... But, nonetheless it is a conventional dovetail making fitting, removing, resetting, the fret work that should accompany a well done reset and a new nut all valuable experience.

Good luck and hopefully with eyes wide open you will enjoy the experience more so than finding out some of this stuff the hard way.


The xanax goes in the morning coffee so no worries there. Thank you for the advice, this is something I really need to learn to do better in my skillset so I'm going to muscle through. I have a back up plan in case the neck gets totaled.

For this one the truss rod is indicating that it's broken, adding tension does nothing to the relief. My thought in removing the neck and maybe making it slightly easier is to remove the fingerboard in order to get at the truss. We will see, going to start cracking at it soon



These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post (total 2): pat macaluso (Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:20 am) • Hesh (Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:28 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:32 am 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 9898
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
Country: United States
Status: Professional
Good luck Dan it could go fine. What I report to you is the stuff that is well known in the industry and to be considered. It does not mean it can't be done it just is a list of things to be mindful of.

Some shops charge more for Guild resets also because of the above but again this does not mean it can't be done.



These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: DanKirkland (Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:50 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:52 pm 
Offline
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:54 am
Posts: 165
State: Texas
Country: United States
Focus: Repair
Hesh wrote:
Good luck Dan it could go fine. What I report to you is the stuff that is well known in the industry and to be considered. It does not mean it can't be done it just is a list of things to be mindful of.

Some shops charge more for Guild resets also because of the above but again this does not mean it can't be done.


I can understand the extra charge just by looking at it. Thanks as always for your advice sir



These users thanked the author DanKirkland for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:32 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:21 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:25 pm
Posts: 1666
First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Country: USA
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
My first reset ever was a '74 Guild D-25. I knew nothing of the inherent difficulties and waded right in. Scribed the neck joint, but still had a little chipping. It wasn't too bad and the guitar was my own, so I didn't give it much thought. Everything else went fine. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. [:Y:]

_________________
George :-)



These users thanked the author George L for the post: Hesh (Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 pm)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 pm 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 9898
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
Country: United States
Status: Professional
George L wrote:
My first reset ever was a '74 Guild D-25. I knew nothing of the inherent difficulties and waded right in. Scribed the neck joint, but still had a little chipping. It wasn't too bad and the guitar was my own, so I didn't give it much thought. Everything else went fine. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. [:Y:]


The D-25's were/are great guitars, that's what I had and mine was a 77.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:53 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:50 pm
Posts: 680
Location: United States
First name: John
Last Name: Lewis
City: Newnan
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30265
Country: USA
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Dan-

I own a 1976 D-35 in need of a neck reset, total re-fret, a new bridge(original shaved way down), new saddle/nut/strings, setup, etc. It's in average cosmetic condition and would be worth $900-1000 if all problems were fixed correctly. I contacted two respected repairmen who each quoted over $1200 for the repairs needed, so it's not worth it financially to fix. It plays and sounds good, so one day I'll just fix it myself.

Dan, when you fix your guitar please post pics. It'll be nice to see what I'll be getting myself into.

It's good knowing others have done this too and give their advice freely. Thanks guys!

_________________
John Lewis
Wannabe builder owned by 3 crazy dachshunds


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 am 
Offline
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:49 am
Posts: 9898
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
Country: United States
Status: Professional
Chuckling here John because we call this level of work "the whole nine yards"and we charge about $1,200 to do it. Maybe it's time to raise prices.;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:03 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:50 pm
Posts: 680
Location: United States
First name: John
Last Name: Lewis
City: Newnan
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30265
Country: USA
Focus: Build
Status: Amateur
Hesh wrote:
Chuckling here John because we call this level of work "the whole nine yards"and we charge about $1,200 to do it. Maybe it's time to raise prices.;)


Those repair quotes were from over 10 years ago, so yeah, it may be time to up your rates! :shock: :)

Hesh, I appreciate your advice about the Guild neck reset and its specific pecadillos. Thanks!

_________________
John Lewis
Wannabe builder owned by 3 crazy dachshunds



These users thanked the author John Lewis for the post: Hesh (Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:39 am)
Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:22 pm 
Offline
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 10:44 am
Posts: 3175
I recently did a 60's D-40 guild neck reset and restoration similar to what you are facing and it was a PIA as usual with those necks. I cracked the heal too! The dovetail should be accessible through the 15th fret. You might want to drill two access holes in it to get it from both sides. It's a tough one but you won't total the neck. If the heal cracks just treat that as normal and fix it. Some of the Guilds like the D-40 have laminated center maple stripes which require extra care with all the extra steaming required so as not to delaminate it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
phpBB customization services by 2by2host.com