It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:20 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Some fancy Gibson and Gibbie clones have bound fretboards with little nibs (I don't know what else to call them) extending over the ends of the frets. This is a Ibanez L5 copy

I've fretted quite a few bound fretboards where the ends of the frets extend over the binding, but the guitar above needs frets and I'm not sure how to go about it. I assume that I have to cut each of 22 frets to fit perfectly between the nibs (assuming that I don't damage them when I pull the frets). Any tricks?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
It's much easier to level the nibs, notch the ends of the new frets, and have wider frets. I've done it both ways - and getting the new fret end to match the old nib is very tough, especially if the frets have been leveled a few times already or if you are refretting with different size wire from stock. Good luck either way. I try to please the client, of course - but if they have no preference, I level the nibs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Just file it all off and fret a bound F/B as usual. You will have to level the F/B anyway.

These users thanked the author Haans for the post: Pmaj7 (Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:34 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
What others said, simply level the entire fret plane and in doing so the nibs, that is what they are called by the way, are nixed.

There are some Luthiers who offer the additional service of rebuilding the nibs but they also charge additionally and greatly for this too. It's a process of rebuilding each, individual one with a solvent and more of the nib material being added, sculpted, etc. It can look amateur and it should add much to the cost.

I've never had a client who wanted it and would prefer more valuable fret top real estate and not being charged a couple hundred more for something with little value. Refretting an instrument will never hurt it's value if the work is professional and appropriate for the instrument.

So nix the nibs.

BTW last week we did three Les Pauls in a row for a Les Paul collector, all refrets and all had the nibs removed and not replaced.

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Clinchriver (Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26 am)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:16 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Thanks guys, I was worried about destroying value of an old collectible guitar.

These users thanked the author Freeman for the post: Hesh (Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:19 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Freeman wrote:
Thanks guys, I was worried about destroying value of an old collectible guitar.

From what I've seen over the years here Freeman you're very talented and I seriously doubt that you would ever harm any instrument. I'm always impressed with your work and the fact that you tend to be balls out when wanting to expand your chops. Very impressive and I would not hesitate to have you work on any of my personal instruments.

Great work! [:Y:]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Frank
Last Name: Ford
City: Palo Alto
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94301
You can cut and install the frets really carefully without disturbing the nibs - a lot of needless work resulting in a less playable neck in some instances. Only ever had one guy talk me into doing it - and that was one of two times I argued against what he wanted. I lost both arguments because he's just about the most studied guitarist one could meet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ3Z5cL4zCs

He patiently explained that he made use of the crack between the binding and the fret end to get this little "ping" on some sensitive passages up the neck, and demonstrated it. So I did the job, you bet.

My other lost argument was when he told me he wanted to have his L-5 refretted because of wear I told him I thought the frets weren't even 10% worn and that he should wait a while longer. His reply was that he could feel the difference and that it mattered to him. "You CAN?" I asked. "Yes I can, and so can YOU." He then pulled out the other L-guitar he had with him and had me feel the necks and form a couple of simple chords. Jeez, I could feel the difference quite distinctly.

Don't mess with the master. . .

Frank Ford

FRETS.COM
HomeShopTech
FRETS.NET

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Ye gods..... I forgot what an absolute slouch Tuck is on that L-5..... [clap] [clap] [clap]