Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Shocking refret
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hesh wrote:
We use Howards too in our commercial repair business and have for over ten years now. Great stuff, really pops the beauty of wood, bridges, truss rod covers (wood ones, not pl*stic....), etc.

Howards also is good to lightly wax boards with before running a bead of thin CA next to a fret and then clamping it with the Jaws II tool. The Howards helps the excess CA wipe off the board perfectly clean.

That's a great tip. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:13 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Christopher Parker wrote:
Of course, the true test of a good fret job is, does it play and bend without choking or dead notes with the action set to 1/32" and 3/64"? (FWIW I wouldn't leave it that low unless the customer insists that they want it like that)

I didn't go as low was 1/32 but am confident there would be no issues. At 1/16 there was no suggestion of choking out. I actually impressed myself here, but it just goes to show that if you take your time and listen to what the instrument is telling you then there's no reason you can't get it spot on.

There's just under 1/64 of fall away too (by design) on the last few frets which I suppose helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:12 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hesh wrote:

I'm not a fan of semi hemispherical fret ends either believing it to be a fad with little practical value. What I do want is very little bevel and nicely shaped fret ends that are not at all sharp. That's my goal. You will find that there are MANY ways to accomplish what I speak of including semi hemispherical fret ends, which I have done, but don't see the value in it beyond nicely shaped, not sharp, not radically beveled fret ends.

Hesh, could you post some pictures of what you consider your ideal fret ends just as a point of reference? Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Yeah I would be happy to the next time we have an ax that's getting them in the shop but you may have misread my statement. I also want to see what the fret ends look like on the 1870's Martin that we have in the shop with bar frets. I suspect that we won't see the radical bevel but have to wait until tomorrow to get back in the city.

Yesterday there were over 11,000 protesters right outside my shop.... The streets were shut down and half the city couldn't move for hours. These people sure get pissed when you don't have Saturday hours....:) Kidding of course and remaining apolitical. :)

To me there is No "ideal" style for a fret end. There are lots of great styles that in my view meet the criterial of function that I appreciate seeing and using. Not sharp, not beveled overly (this is also a function of neck profile and if it has rolled edges or additionally rolled edges), shows a deliberateness of craftsmanship AND a uniform appearance, scratch free, glass like feel, ALWAYS completely seated and firmly attached (glued for me, glue choice can vary but ep*xy is not a good choice IME...). When I sight the edge of the board are all fret ends in the same plane? Is the precision of the overall fret work capable of industry norms for setting action, there are some specs out here for this, set-up specs say from Martin, Fender, G*bson, etc. Can your work exceed these specs and since the f*ctories do lousy work this is not at all hard to do.

So no ideal specification if you will Bosco but lots of things that are welcome in great fret work.

Food for thought. Would most players notice special fret ends if they were not pointed out to them? I don't think so. But they would notice their hands bleeding (maybe an exaggeration....) or at least notice sharp frets if they encounter them.

So maybe we take this a bit far in our criteria which makes me have to remember function and it's importance from time to time. What is it that they say, form follows function...:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:00 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Christopher
Last Name: Parker
City: Fatetteville
State: AR
Zip/Postal Code: 72701
Focus: Repair
Hesh wrote:
Christopher we are going to disagree on a number of things that you said but no biggie, to each their own.

I'm not sure where the disagreement is, unless you interpreted my saying "properly beveled" as meaning over-beveled. To be clear, over-beveled fret ends is one of my pet peeves. I learned long ago that it's not necessary to bevel and smooth the fret ends nearly as much as a factory job, and preserving lateral wiggle-room is one of my top priorities when beveling and shaping the ends. On some guitars this is very critical. Most notably on vintage strats and teles which have a very wide string spacing at the bridge. On those guitars, I'll keep the ends as vertical as possible towards the end of the neck, and I'll gradually taper the frets into a slightly more pronounced bevel near the nut. In all other cases, the bevel angle remains consistent along the length of the neck.

I took some pics of a D-28 I just finished refretting (also made the nut), doing my best to show the bevel:
Attachment:
IMG_2261.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_2259.JPG
Attachment:
IMG_2253.JPG

Since you mentioned comparing an 1870's Martin's fret ends, I happen to have one in my shop awaiting restoration. As far as I know, the ends have not been messed with. They're poking out quite a bit, so they will need to be smoothed. Here's the bevel on an antique Martin 2 1/2-17 parlor:
Attachment:
IMG_2255.JPG

And for comparison, here's the bevel on the D-28 I just did:
Attachment:
IMG_2258.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Christopher Parker for the post: Hesh (Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:42 am)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Since you mentioned comparing an 1870's Martin's fret ends, I happen to have one in my shop awaiting restoration. As far as I know, the ends have not been messed with. They're poking out quite a bit, so they will need to be smoothed. Here's the bevel on an antique Martin 2 1/2-17 parlor:
Attachment:
IMG_2255.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2258.JPG

Thanks, Christopher. This is really interesting. The parlour guitar frets are so straight on the sides and seem to sit slightly proud of the edge of the finger board. Maybe this is just an illusion in the photo though. Your Martin refret is lovely. Incredibly neat and consistent. My acoustic fret job has a similar profile, only somewhat less perfect!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:29 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Christopher
Last Name: Parker
City: Fatetteville
State: AR
Zip/Postal Code: 72701
Focus: Repair
Bosco Birdswood wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_2255.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_2258.JPG

Thanks, Christopher. This is really interesting. The parlour guitar frets are so straight on the sides and seem to sit slightly proud of the edge of the finger board. Maybe this is just an illusion in the photo though. Your Martin refret is lovely. Incredibly neat and consistent. My acoustic fret job has a similar profile, only somewhat less perfect!

Thanks. The frets of the parlor guitar are sticking out quite a bit. The fingerboard has shrunk over the last 150 years. This guitar has the old style bar frets, so that's why the profile looks different. If you look closely, the edges of the frets are beveled, actually at a slightly steeper angle than the fret job I posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:45 am 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Christopher my mistake and misunderstanding, thanks for the additional postings. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:31 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You know what they say, if ya want something done right do it yourself! Good job. Yikes! That was terrible. Honestly, as a self taught repairman, pre-Internet days (Gasp!), I'm sure the first few fret jobs I did would probably have ended up on an Internet forum being criticized too but geesh not that bad :D