Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jeffrey
Last Name: Bolek
City: Cleveland
State: Ohio
Zip/Postal Code: 44120
Focus: Repair
This is my first post. I reconstruct guitars as a hobby and diversion from work in the medical field. I have a collection of 30 guitars but they just don't sit, they get played. Some day when I retire I'll have fun. Now some questions...

1. Does it make any sense to install a bone saddle on a classical guitar with what appears to be a plastic bridge? As a matter of fact it seems all classical guitars I have seen have plastic bridges.
2. When shaping a bone/tusq saddle is there a way to cut it so it does not chip?
3. When cutting down a saddle to fit is there a way when sanding the final few m. m. you don't cut up your fingers???
4. There is a guy here in Ohio that supposedly sells legal ivory saddles, etc. obtained from junk pianos and the like. I though the law prohibits "new use"....i.e. you cannot take old ivory and make a new use for it and claim it is legal since it is now a new use for it.
5. Is the GAL convention good for amateurs or is it mostly for professionals? I am a member of GAL, have been for as long as I can remember.
Thanks for the help! Jeff B.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
yes
no
no
only if ur caught
have no idea

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Frank
Last Name: Ford
City: Palo Alto
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 94301
Focus: Repair
Here are a few actual answers to your queries >

Low-end classical guitars typically have plastic saddles, and hardwood bridges. No harm in switching to bone saddle, although the improvement may be slight, "depending."

High quality classical guitars traditionally have ebony fingerboards and rosewood bridges.

If you are having trouble with chipping of bone and Tusq as you work it, you may need to try different tools/techniques. I expect not to chip unless I take shortcuts with heavy, coarse files and saws.

There's a number of ways to hold saddles to avoid finger injury while sanding - here's one:

Tim's "Saddle Pal"

The restrictions on ivory have been moving more toward incomprehensibility, so I don't even know whom to ask about specific details or instances at this point!

The GAL is really composed more of amateurs and hobbyists, although any number of professionals participate. ALL are WELCOME, for sure!

Frank Ford

FRETS.COM
HomeShopTech
FRETS.NET

These users thanked the author Frank Ford for the post: samcatluth (Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:10 pm)