PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:14 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Rick
Last Name: Rosenberg
City: West Milford
State: NJ
Zip/Postal Code: 07480
We have developed a phenomenal quick and easy ding and dent repair product called MasterCoat. You can check it here at www.gluboost.com Many top luthiers and repair people are using MasterCoat for not only repairing dings and dents easily but for grain filling and finishing work as well.

[url]www.ricksguitartalk.blogspot.com[/b][/url]
[url]www.gearupproducts.blogspot.com[/b][/url]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Is this a Legit Company ? are these guys really into guitars ? whats the lowdown here ? Can someone who has some history with the Forum speak up in there behalf , cause thats the only way im gonna even consider the idea !

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
In the about us the owner lists his experience as an entrepreneur and product developer. Looking at the site he is selling CA and accelerator. So yes CA is used as he described. What makes his CA better, who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:31 pm 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
John I was just reading the site too and my impression is that they have added a plasticizer or additive to the product billed for finish repairs to reduce brittleness. The accelerator apparently does not foam the glue or create the white stuff. I simply use my breath and time and get the same results.... and never accelerate CA when the intended use is as a drop fill.

I have two impressions of this thread.

First I wonder if Mr. Rosenberg has sought approval from Lance, forum owner, before promoting a product here?

And two, since the OP brought it up I am wondering who specifically are the "top Luthiers and repair people using MasterCoat" and what do they use it for.

To the OP Mr. Rosenberg this can be a tough room, no disrespect intended but this group has suffered though many claims in the past that ended up being products and folks behind them that either did not understand the requirements of Lutherie such as serviceability, etc. or the claims simply weren't true when subjected to scrutiny.

There are a number of CA's on the market that are indeed very fresh and I have never seen CA, at least the stuff that I use, yellow contrary to claims on the site too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:03 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Last Name: Turner
City: Santa Cruz
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 95060
I just got a sample kit with the finish dig repair CA, the regular thin CA, and the GluBoost accelerator...which we'd already tried and found just fantastic...far better than the pump spray bottles. I had pretty much gone to not using accelerator either because of the foaming issues, but this stuff is a game changer.

These are legit products, and I'll report in on how (in particular) the finish fixer version works.

There are some interesting issues...1) how will this stuff work with nitro lacquer? 2) how will it work with polyester? The big deals are how it blends and how it rubs out as a repair.

I did let Rick know that I'd like to see superglue packaged in sealed end micro-pipettes...this would keep the product really fresh in a size one would use up in a few days to a week and also be in a package that is ideal for dispensing. I'm going to try doing this myself...suck up a full pipette, heat seal the end, and refrigerate them. I'm really tired of crusty bottles of HotStuff with the glue gradually getting thicker and the bottles less and less usable.

These users thanked the author RTurner for the post: Hesh (Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:24 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

RTurner wrote:
...far better than the pump spray bottles. I had pretty much gone to not using accelerator either because of the foaming issues, but this stuff is a game changer.

At the last GAL conference a couple of the Gryphon repair people showed a demonstration fixing a dent with CA. During the demonstration they showed that one could avoid the CA foaming by using an airbrush to spray the accelerator. The pump bottles dump too big of droplets on to the CA causing it to boil. I notice the gluboost accelerator is shipped in an aerosol can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:51 pm 

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
John something that also works is to spray a quick mist into the air around the glue and if the coat is misty enough it won't foam either. But simply waiting say 20 minutes and/or breathing on it will do the same thing.

Good to know Rick and let us know how well it works for you please? [:Y:]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Rick Rosenberg here. I had not been on Forums before and now realize perhaps that I should not have promoted directly. I see the posts and would like to reply accordingly. Many top luthiers love the product. Joe Glaser from Nashville loves our Finisher as does Mario Beauregard. Ian Davlin has been using it with excellent results. We will have a video for you soon to see some techniques. Yes we are a legit company and are sincere in our field. I am an accomplished guitarist and composer/songwriter. I have developed many products and always strive to make the best possible products available. The products will work with nitro and ployester well. In fact we've used it with lacquer, shellac, and nitro with no issues at all. Lastly, it is our experience that some CA's can yellow. More products to come.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

City: Lenoir City
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37772
Focus: Repair
I've been using the accelerator and it has performed as advertised. I like it compared to the other accelerators I've used. I also have samples of the thin CA and the dent filler but haven't tried them yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:30 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks guys. Call me with any questions anytime or feel free to post here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:22 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

RTurner wrote:
I'm going to try doing this myself...suck up a full pipette, heat seal the end, and refrigerate them. I'm really tired of crusty bottles of HotStuff with the glue gradually getting thicker and the bottles less and less usable.

That is a great idea Rick! CA bottles clogging up between uses is just about the most aggravating thing that happens in my shop. I'm going to try the pipette thing today!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:22 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Ricks idea is a very good idea. If your adhesive is fresh, and you are busy, you shouldn't have this problem however as a rule of thumb. But for super control when wicking into tight spots, its really a good idea. Just be careful you don't seal in moisture or your adhesive will start to cure unknowingly. The problem with the thin pipettes is that that material isn't dense enough for storage of CA's in them as there is the potential of moisture, light, and air proliferation. We have seen thinner material for storing CA's in react unfavorably and wreak havoc with CA's. We are investigating other materials based on Rick Turner's suggestion as we speak.

To clarify, regarding the problem you have with the bottles. The CA in the tip of the nozzle is reacting with moisture in the small orifice and hardening. Typically once the CA hardens the user will take a pin and stick it down into the nozzle to open it up only to find it clogs up even quicker the next time. What happens is the pin scratches the inside of the nozzle, which allows even more CA to stay in the nozzle causing it to clog up quicker. This process will be repeated several times until the nozzle is no longer able to be used and gets thrown away.

Some companies have claimed to have a clog-free nozzle, which in reality is only a very long nozzle that you keep snipping the clogged end off until there is no nozzle left and still end up throwing it away. Other companies simply sell you extra caps and nozzles so you can replace them after they clog.

There are bottles that actually have an engineered nozzle that not only will not clog but has three different points of seal to assure the product inside is kept fresh and away from moisture. This cap has a blunt nose, stainless steel pin molded into the cap, which engages into the orifice of the nozzle (not scratching the insides of the bottle) to keep the orifice clean. Inside the tip is a calculated venturie shape, which pulls the CA out of the tip and back into the bottle once the bottle is stood upright. On the very tip of the nozzle is a tapered seat which engages with a tapered boss in the cap creating compression on the tip of the nozzle keeping the nozzle clean and the product inside fresh.

If the tip is wiped and the cap is replaced each time the user is finished with the product the nozzle will never clog. Also, always, always, be sure to allow the glue to go back down the nozzle before recapping. Tapping the bottle a couple of times will help with this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Last Name: Sonksen
City: PORTLAND
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97216-2013
I tried ordering last week, was told there was an error in calculating shipping costs several times and couldn't move forward on the order. Speaking as a regular online consumer I'd say the willingness to try a new product diminishes rapidly when something like that happens. It gave me an uneasy feeling right or wrong, about the legitimacy of the product and I ultimately bought some CA glue locally.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:05 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

John I am very sorry you had this problem. Not sure what happened. You can certainly call the office at 973-728-7060 and place your order there. Not sure why you had this problem. Where are you located?

Rick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:53 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Last Name: Sonksen
City: PORTLAND
State: Oregon
Zip/Postal Code: 97216-2013
I'm in Portland Oregon. I'll try calling you next time I need some.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Yes we ship there all the time and the cart auto calculates so I'm not sure what happened.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I had problems with the web site order system as well. I went to check out with paypal, authorized in paypal came back to your site but when I pressed the place order button, it just grayed out and stayed that way.

I went through the entire checkout process, and was able to place the order.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Geeze. Sorry. I have alerted the office and they are working on this right now. Thanks much for the heads up.

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Rick,

I'm interested in your products. Am I correct in understanding that your thin CA is not quite as thin as other thin CAs (e.g. Starbond "Super Fast Thin" or StewMac thin)? That's the impression I get from reading the description on your web site.

Thanks -

https://www.dreamingrosesecobnb.com/todds-art-music

https://www.facebook.com/ToddRoseGuitars/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:43 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I am not sure if these types of answers and questions are skirting the Forum rules, so maybe someone can advise me or PM me with direct product questions. However, I will reply that the thin is a phenomenal all purpose adhesive and will outperform the other products around. Its is "slightly" thicker but still has excellent and most adequate wicking and wetting properties for nearly all types of uses. Beauty is in the hands of the beholder. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:33 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, Rick. I might have suggested contacting Lance (the head honcho of this forum) first and asking him to introduce you here -- becoming a forum sponsor could be a good idea -- but, anyway, now that we're here discussing your product, I think it's good info for all who may be interested, so I would suggest keeping this discussion public. Each individual here can sort out for him/herself the line between hype and useful info. ;)

So, I have another question. One common technique when using an accelerator is to spritz a surface with accelerator first, then apply the glue and put the parts together (or accelerator first, then put the parts together and wick in the glue). Does your accelerator work well when used in that manner?

Thanks -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:11 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi Todd

Absolutely. In fact, with Ian Davlin we repaired a cheap plastic nut using that methodology and it holding together beautifully with our Thin adhesive.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks, Rick! I'll order one of your promo packs and give the stuff a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:32 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Thanks Todd! Call or write with any questions. Enjoy!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:33 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I started as a skeptic, but I am convinced. I have tried accelerator and their thin CA. As a combo they work great. The accelerator even worked well on a puddle of Hot Stuff thin CA.