PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:41 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Ryan
Last Name: Mazzocco
City: Joplin
State: MO
Focus: Build
I heard an expression once that I have adopted for myself that says, "experience is something you can only have after you already needed it." I find this to be true all the time in lutherie. Take that Alvarez neck reset attempt I mentioned near the beginning of this thread. I also didn't mention that it was my first ever attempt at a neck reset. So, when I drilled through the fret slot I didn't know what it feels like to drill into the dovetail joint. The mahogany was soft enough that it drilled right down with no effort and I figured I was there. The next guitar I did was a late '60s Gibson. Now, when I drilled into that joint I KNEW it. There was no doubt. Now I know what it feels like to hit it AND to not hit it. Now if I drill and don't feel what I felt on that old Gibson then I just stop, assume it must be a butt joint and proceed from there. That was my lesson learned.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:10 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: David
Last Name: Radlin
City: Belle River
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: N0R 1A0
Focus: Repair
Todd Rose wrote:
SteveSmith wrote:
No advice from me but I enjoy these threads. Looks like a standard furniture dowel joint.

That looks like a fairly high-powered heat gun. How do you keep from messing up the lacquer?

I was surprised at how much heat I was able to apply to the heel with the heat gun without having any effect on the lacquer. The gun is variable, and I had it set at about 1/3. Still, that's pretty hot, and I had it cooking on that heel for a pretty long time -- not constantly on one spot, of course, and I closely monitored the lacquer as I worked -- taking breaks every now and then to rack the neck. Putting my hand in through the sound hole, I could feel a lot of heat coming through the wood in there.

The glue was not very soft when the neck finally came off.

Keep in mind that many of these guitars have laminated heels on the neck. Heating the neck to loosen the bond on the dowels may also affect the heel lamination. Tread with caution.