All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Andrew
City: Ottawa
State: ON
Focus: Build
I'm in for my first acoustic build. I may be disqualified as I have done nearly four electrics, but I decided to join anyways and let you boo me offstage if you will beehive.

Now for back and sides, I have two options. I have a rift sawn plank of walnut I could resaw into a back and side set, with a four piece back. I also have a mostly pre thicknessed afzelia back and side set. Does anyone have any experience working with afzelia? Would it be a reasonable choice for a first built?

The neck will be laminated, I will decide on the specifics after deciding on the back and sides.

I was hoping to get some tops from Shane, but he hasn't replied to my emails recently so I may have to settle on something else. Does anyone have any experience with Fraser valley Fine Woods? http://fine-woods.com/sitka_spruce.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Alex
Last Name: Kleon
City: Whitby
State: Ontario
Zip/Postal Code: L1N8X2
Hi Andrew! I don't think you should be worried about your electric builds, they are totally diferent from acoustic. I've bought from Fraser Valley from both their web and ebay sales. Their quality is excellent. If you look at my build thread, the bearclaw sitka spruce is from them. I also have a sister set with a little spike knot that I hope to use for a parlor guitar. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Andrew good luck on your build :)

I bought some Engelmann from Fraser Valley both through Ebay and from their website - Ed is a nice guy to deal and the quality of the tops was excellent :)

All the best
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Dennis
Last Name: Kincheloe
City: Kansas City
State: MO
The engelmann top on my build in the recently finished challenge was from Fraser Valley :) They have some extremely nice western red cedar too, so grab one of those while you're at it.

I'd say you qualify as a first time acoustic builder. Pretty much the only part that carries over is the neck, and not even all of it because the attachment to the body is so different. I'm kind of afraid to do my first electric... anything wired to house current scares me.

As for back/side woods, how are you doing your thicknessing? I've never encountered afzelia, but wood-database.com says it has interlocked grain, which is tough to plane without tearing. Although since you're already close to thickness, you could just do the rest by scraper.

Walnut is certainly great too, and very easy to plane and bend.

I'd probably go with the afzelia just for appearance, since 4 piece riftsawn can look a little odd with the grain spacing changing at the joints. Save that board for sides, and find a wider one for backs on future guitars. Wide walnut is pretty easy to come by... at least around here where it's one of the most common trees to find :)