Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Glueing top and back
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:00 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Focus: Build
OK I finished building my thickness caliper thingy, wish I knew how to post pictures so I could show it, and now I am on to joining the top and the back. I plan to use the Chris Polick method with tape. I got the two pieces for the top down to about 5mm and am ready to glue the pieces together. My questions are as follows:

1. Should I take the top and the back down further before I glue then and if so to what thickness?

2. I was going to use Titebond II and if I do I most likely will get some squeeze out. Should I just let the squeeze out dry for an hour and then scrape it off the top and back like I would if I were gluing something wood project or do I take a wet rag and wipe it off right a way? When I do this with other wood projects I end up with some of the glue in the wood and later have to sand and hope I get it all off so that when I stain the wood or finish the wood I don't get the glue surface looking lighter than the stain I am putting on.

Thanks for the help. This is of course my first build and reading about something and doing it are two different things.

Chuck

Post subject: Re: Glueing top and back
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Casey
Last Name: Cochran
City: Gainesville
State: GA
Zip/Postal Code: 30501
Don't use Titebond II. Original Titebond is fine. I let the glue skin over a bit and then scrape.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Peter
Last Name: Fenske
City: Leeds
State: Yorkshire
To post pictures you need to open up an account with an image hosting site, like imageshack or photobucket. You can then insert the 'forum links' to the photos in any post.
I would leave the top thick when gluing up - it gives you a bit more room for misalignment. Wipe off as much glue as you can and scrape off the rest when dry. You'll be thinning it a lot more anyway, so glue staining isn't an issue.

https://www.facebook.com/FenskeGuitars

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I decided to use liquid hide glue. I glued up a 2 tops and 3 backs today. The tops are quite large and I don't think I am going to use them for my L-00 project as I would end up with a lot of waist. So I do have some smaller tops that I have been collecting for some time getting ready to actually try my hand at this building. So I will get a couple of those ready in the next couple of nights.

So far just getting the backs and tops to fit correctly and glued has been really fun.

Thanks for the help. I know I will be asking a lot more questions.

Chuck