Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rod True - GA EIR/Cedar
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:42 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Here's guitar #10, a commision from a friend. More details will follow as time goes on.

This is my GA model, based off the Gibson J-185 with a little less "booty" in the lower bout ;)

Shooting the edge and gluing up, tent method and using my Go-bar deck to keep the plate halves as level as possible.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Bobby
Last Name: Masten
City: The Woodlands
State: TX
Zip/Postal Code: 77380
Focus: Build
Glad to see you and Robbie joined me here. Was beginning to get lonely on this board..lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:30 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Jeremy
Last Name: Pappenfus
City: Whitefish
State: MT
Zip/Postal Code: 59937
Focus: Build
Been meaning to try that combination. Have you done one before? How did it turn out? I've played a Taylor with that duo and didn't care for it, sounded muddy. Though the owner of that guitar didn't take good care of it.

Keep up the beautiful work,

JP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks JP. Yes, I've built 4 guitars with EIR/cedar and they are a winner IMO. My guess is the Taylor was braced to their standard and the standard didn't cut it for that guitar in general.

OK, here's where I'm at.

Got the sides bent and all glued up together, the back joined, thicknessed, center strip in and the braces glued on. Next will be sand and clean the inside, linings, soundport graft/reinforcement, center graft on the back and fitting the back. Then it's onto the top.

Here's the pictures. Sorry that some of them are fuzzy.

The back strip is 0.100" wide.

"There's really no wrong way, as long as the results are what's desired." Charles Fox

"We have to constantly remind ourselves what we're doing....No Luthier is putting a man on the moon!" Harry Fleishman

"Generosity is always different in the eye of the person who didn't receive anything, but who wanted some." Waddy Thomson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Wow, haven't done much updating with this one. Had to do a second top as I made an error in "chasing a scratch" and sanded the top to thin.

Anyway, this one is about a week away from being delivered to its owner.

Here's a few shots of progress along the way.

Got the lining glued in

Trying the Olson solid lining around the cutaway. I sure like the look of this. Don’t think it does much for stiffening the rim as it’s already pretty stiff due to the radius of the bend.

Starting the rosette, this will be a 12 piece tiled rosette, simple but pretty I think.

All glued up and ready to cut the ring out.

Here it is installed in the top. Just needs to be cleaned up.

There we go ;)

The rim is all ready to take the top and the back. I like to install the tail graft and cutaway tip binding before gluing the top or back on, I find it easier this way and I don’t have to worry about purfling lines not covering the tail graft this way (I’ve had that happen before made the tail graft to thick).

Tail graft

Tip of the cutaway

My new label. I’ve never been happy with what I’ve come up with for a label so I decided to get a branding iron.

Gluing up the top braces

And all finished ready to glue to the rims.

And here it is, the body done ready for binding.

Gluing headstock veneer on

Mock up of the neck on the body

Headstock shaped and neck rough shaped, checking fretboard alignment.

Compound (well close enough anyway) radius on the fretboard

Side dots, 16ga brass nails work great for this

And trimmed and sanded flush

Getting the curve at the end of the fretboard just right

Binding

Florentine tip, it's not perfect but getting better

"T" logo inlayed

Soundport

Rough shaping neck

Neck rough shaped, fretboard being glued on

Neck all done

Final check on the neck set and then it's ready for masking and finishing

Forgot about the feather inlay on the back of the heal

Made the bridge

A couple coats of lacquer on

Here's a shot of me fretting (frets didn't wan to seat in the middle so I had to clamp several of them).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Lookin' great Rod.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:19 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Rod, that's extremely nice. The whole documentation is very informative to me, but I especially like the little fixture you used to pre-glue the florentine corner block to the side and cutaway. I've thought about ways to do this, but your solution had not occurred to me.
Elegant little feather inlay, too. I'll bet that was a bit of a chore with the heel cap already on the instrument.

A favor, please, if you have time: If you have some progress shots showing how you taper your rosette tiles, I would really like to see them.

Congratulations on a fine looking guitar!
Patrick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks Patrick.

As for the taper on the rosette tiles. I made a board that I clamp to my edge sander that has the correct taper relative to the sander face. I just cut rectangular pieces which are oversized and take it to the sander to set the taper. I draw a line on the Jig for how far to push the tile to get the right size (within 1/16" is fine).

The feather was actually not to bad. This is the first engraving I've ever done, that was a bit of a challenge as I don't have a graving tool, I just used an awl that I sharpened up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Rod, Thanks for the specific response. Re: The taper on the tiles, I think I've got it. Another simple fixture to get you in the neighborhood and then some trial fitting here and there. Simple and cool. Re: The improvised graver, no problem with that, either. If you want to make some graving tools for fun sometime when things are slow, old triangle files, industrial hack saw blades, broken chisels or broken jointer knives are all good sources of steel for this purpose. It's probably easier to make the tool than to do the engraving, but it's all fun. For what it's worth, I think your improvised engraving is very satisfying. I'd be extremely proud if I ever turned out a guitar like this one!

Patrick