Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

Post subject: Bridge Tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:22 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Focus: Build
Hello,

I'd like to make a custom bridge for a tenor Uke I'm working on. The FB is ebony so if like to make the bridge the same. Are there any tutorials out there on Uke bridge making? I have one of the "premium" rosewood bridges from SM. I could just replicate that but wondered if there was a walk through that someone already had bookmarked?

Any pointers are appreciated!

Thanks,
Brad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Bridge Tutorial
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620
I just went through the same thing and did not come up any tutorial. I made one by going through the steps - cutting the blank the right thickness but oversized for length and width, routing the saddle groove a little thinner than the saddle blank and sanding the side of the blank to fit, cutting the length and width of the blank, drilling the off-center string-knot holes by clamping an extra piece along the bottom of the blank, then cutting the string slots. Mine was in Osage Orange, so a little harder to work that ebony or mahogany, but easy enough.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby1638/27169040206/in/album-72157662606115293/

This, of course, assumes that this is the type of bridge you are going for. If you are after a more guitar-like bridge, perhaps with pins, there are a lot of guitar bridge tutorials out there.

Ed

These users thanked the author Ruby50 for the post: bcombs510 (Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:58 am)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:59 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brad
Last Name: Combs
Ruby50 wrote:
I just went through the same thing and did not come up any tutorial. I made one by going through the steps - cutting the blank the right thickness but oversized for length and width, routing the saddle groove a little thinner than the saddle blank and sanding the side of the blank to fit, cutting the length and width of the blank, drilling the off-center string-knot holes by clamping an extra piece along the bottom of the blank, then cutting the string slots. Mine was in Osage Orange, so a little harder to work that ebony or mahogany, but easy enough.

This, of course, assumes that this is the type of bridge you are going for. If you are after a more guitar-like bridge, perhaps with pins, there are a lot of guitar bridge tutorials out there.

Ed

Thanks, Ed. That helps a ton! I'll study your pics and probably build pretty much the same. What was the angle on the jig used to drill the holes? I'm thinking about 5 - 7 degrees, does that seem about right?

Thanks!
Brad

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:00 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Aaron
bcombs510 wrote:
Ruby50 wrote:

Ed

Thanks, Ed. That helps a ton! I'll study your pics and probably build pretty much the same. What was the angle on the jig used to drill the holes? I'm thinking about 5 - 7 degrees, does that seem about right?

Thanks!
Brad

The bridge that Ed made is sized more for a Standard than a Tenor; MAYBE a Concert.

Based on your statements so far, I'm going to guess you aren't working on plans, or on specs from another Tenor, so your slate is clean. This can be great to have free creative reign. Not so great if you don't know the intended outcome of what you're working with. The bridge is arguably the most important brace on an ukulele. If your intent is to put a Standard bridge on a Tenor instrument, then I stand corrected.

Otherwise, you could search other forums for bridge building steps, C&N probably has it in their book, as do other instructional books like Hana Lima's. I'll guess G&G have it as well.

Or, just search sites like "Hawaii Music Supply" or "Ukulele Friend" to see what's out there. Be advised, both have archived "sold" instruments that is a wealth of images. You should be able to figure how to build a bridge from there, short of their exact specs, which will differ from yours based on other variables, such as location on the body, height in relation to fretboard, etc.

Here's one of my older versions - I've since increased the gluing area, and simplified the bridge, but you get the gist:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Aaron O for the post: bcombs510 (Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:17 pm)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Ed
Last Name: Minch
City: Chestertown
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21620

Thanks!
Brad

Brad

Just saw your question. I used the Grellier plans for this Soprano bridge, and they do not show the holes from the side to give an angle an angle. I did not know that was a possibility, so mine are straight in and they work fine.

Ed