Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:53 am 
Walnut
Walnut

Focus: Build
Thought it would be interesting to post a thread up here for the latest build I've done, even if there's danger of being shunned...

Posted here in 2011 about my first build and enjoyed the feedback, but this is something entirely different. Could have probably gone into the electric guitar and bass forum, but my interest was definitely more mandolin than electric...

The whole story, with a bunch of pics of progress along the way, was blogged here:
https://jimbrosseau.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ost-there/
https://jimbrosseau.wordpress.com/2015/ ... close-now/
https://jimbrosseau.wordpress.com/2015/ ... ned-thing/

And the final result (I was looking for the same scale length and contact points of a regular mandolin, in the smallest size I could get) is here:
Attachment:
second mandolin.jpg

I could probably add a fake headstock and scroll, maybe a fern inlay, but you close your eyes and you don't need any of these things :P

Interested in your thoughts on this one...still a few things to tweak, but it's already got good sound, and plug it into a guitar effects processor and it's just crazy!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Three builds under my belt now...
I'll always be an amateur builder - don't want to turn a joy into a job!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: winnipeg
State: manitoba
Show us the tuning machines. I have been trying to figure that one out for a travel guitar for friends.
Your ideas sound good but I would prefer to buy electronics that will (probably) work.
Did you consider a piezo pickup?

Bob :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

...here's a picture of the tuning machines, pulled one side off for clarity. They're just standard StewMac machines, it's pretty cosy in there and it was easier to string 'er up with the sides removed (they just pull off - magnets), but tweaking is just fine with the sides where they are. You can see the cover for the 9v battery compartment as well.

Winding the pickups was a pretty steep curve, but the two single coils that are on there now sound just fine, and I can easily throw a new one together in an afternoon. I'll probably build one with shorter poles on the e side so I can lower the action on that side, and I've got a humbucker and P90 in the works as well. Never really thought of a piezo, but it's a floating bridge, so...

Attachment:
tuning machines.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:55 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Quine
City: Hudson
State: MA
Neat design. Are you able get your fingers on those tuner buttons? The top row looks pretty cramped in the photo
Any plans to cover those pick ups?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 12:06 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

...for adjusting up or down to pitch, i've found it's easy enough to just reach in there and tweak 'em. Anything bigger, the sides just come off with a little tug.

For the pickups, no plans to cover them at the moment, there isn't any noticeable hum that I've found, the grounding throughout has worked pretty well, and having the windings visible generates interesting conversations.

Will probably redo these (at least the front one) and change the pole piece heights so that the treble pole is a little shorter - as it stands right now, once I get to the 12th fret, the strings will contact the pole itself. As a first cut though, in first position, things are fine. First time I incorporate a zero fret on a build, very happy with the results there on the nut end...turns out that I reused a nut from my first build that I filed too low, worked well as the alignment nut here - don't throw anything out :)