Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:58 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Scott
Last Name: Memmer
City: Los Angeles
State: California
Focus: Repair
Howdy, All. Haven't been on here in quite a while.

I'm going to be installing an JJB pickup in my Epiphone F-Hole mandolin. It's an INTERNAL installation, inside the body. The JJB installation instructions leave something to be desired.

A couple quick questions:

1) How do I get my fat fingers inside far enough inside the F-hole to place the two pickups? Do they need to go directly under the saddle for best performance? This would seem impossible, unless using some kind of extension tool.

2) While I'm on that subject, where IS the best placement for such internal installation in that style mandolin?

3) What is the SAFEST way (that is, the safest tool or tools) to drill out the hole for the end-pin? I'm pretty good with tools, but this is my first install and I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks!
Charmed Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
On one of My builds I made a small bracket that i could double over tape and stick transducer to and then applied the ca and stuck it under the foot of the bridge on each side . once the ca set i could remove the bracket and thankfully the tape stayed with the lil bracket . " correct " ? Not sure , but it worked.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

These users thanked the author WudWerkr for the post: charmedlife417 (Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:15 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:17 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

First name: Scott
Last Name: Memmer
City: Los Angeles
State: California
Focus: Repair
WudWerkr wrote:
On one of My builds I made a small bracket that i could double over tape and stick transducer to and then applied the ca and stuck it under the foot of the bridge on each side . once the ca set i could remove the bracket and thankfully the tape stayed with the lil bracket . " correct " ? Not sure , but it worked.

Wud, thanks so much for responding and forgive my slow return of serve. I'm not sure how to set auto-notifications, so I'm never got a heads up that you had responded.

Some people use a bent nail in this situation. Have you ever seen or heard of this?

Thanks Again. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Charmed Life

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
charmedlife417 wrote:
WudWerkr wrote:

Wud, thanks so much for responding and forgive my slow return of serve. I'm not sure how to set auto-notifications, so I'm never got a heads up that you had responded.

Some people use a bent nail in this situation. Have you ever seen or heard of this?

Thanks Again. Really appreciate you taking the time.

Charmed Life

never heard of it , but anything that will help you get it into the right area till the ca sets is good enough

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/