Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:02 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
I have started the finish on the Paduak Build and have decided to try Tru Oil Finishing one time , I have applied the Filler sealer ( 3 ) Coats and will be doing the Finish soon . I am finishing the top with shellac . Anyone out there Tried / Used this stuff ? Whats the feedback ?

Attachment:
100_1172.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

Last edited by WudWerkr on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Tru Oil Finish
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

Nice... I used Tru Oil on some necks, never on a body. I had trouble with it drying properly in some cases and it felt a little sticky on the necks on a warm evening or when the hand gets warmed up. Also, the Tru Oil coagulates in the bottle... gets kinda crusty.

I have since switched to Behlen's Rock Hard. It goes on little thicker, produces a more solid finish and rubs out to a higher gloss.

live every minute...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:59 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Yo, Wud, please clarify: When you ask if anyone has tried using this stuff, you are asking about Tru Oil...right?

If so, I can tell you these things: If you try to build it too fast, it will be slow to dry and you will be frustrated. If you apply many, many thin coats in succession, and sand back periodically (or buff back with 0000 steel wool) things will go better, but it will take time, and you are apt to be frustrated by the time involved. If you are a man of patience, and you can take the time to apply many (I mean MANY) THIN coats, buffing back periodically, and waiting maybe three or four weeks for the final coats to harden up, then I think you might be richly rewarded. It is a versatile finish, capable of an eggshell or a high gloss final finish, and it is almost infinitely repairable.

How do I know this? Most assuredly, not from building instruments. But I have been applying it to various furniture pieces for more than twenty years, and I've seen it stand up to wet, sweating cocktail glasses. (A fairly common situation in my world). Also shotgun stocks (perhaps some of the most environmentally challenged walnut in service anywhere). A little buff, and little re-wipe, a couple of days later a vigorous polish with a flannel rag and, PRESTO, a nice restoration.
Like so many things in life, it's not the material, it's the method.

Good luck with it. Be patient, and I think you'll be okay. And if you don't like the way it works, you can go to another method next time. You will eventually discover your favorite method.

Keep us posted!

Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:18 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have 3 coats of the filler in place and am going to let it cure a couple days and sand . After that I will start the tru oil finish . I am planning on using a cotton cloth to apply it . Hopefully it will work out well . Any suggestions are appreciated . What ive heard so far is very helpfull ... Thanks [:Y:]

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:01 am 
Koa
Koa

Try to work with a lint-free cloth, regardless of the fabric used. Don't wad up your application cloths when you're done with them. Either lay them flat and open on the shop floor, or keep them in an air tight container (un-used paint can is great for this) until you can dispose of them. Whenever working with any material like this, including the pigments and solvents in my art work, I fold my rags and paper towels flat, put them in a plastic bag, squeeze out the air, twist the neck right up to the rag, tie a knot, and then put the bag in a sealed metal can until I can dispose of it. I guess I'm a little freakish about this, but wadded up oil soaked rags can burn your house down. You are probably aware of all that, but there are possibly some inexperienced lurkers reading, so I am speaking to them, too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Mark
City: Concord
State: NC
Paper Coffee filters work the best for application of Tru-Oil for me. On the flat surfaces I just pour a half teaspoon and spread it around with a flat hand covered with a filter. Direct sunlight for a few hours between coats helps to achieve a hard cure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:43 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Beth
Last Name: Mayer
City: Tucson
State: AZ
Woody,
You probably saw this already, but Robbie O'Brien just finished a new Luthier d"Jour about using Tru-oil. I used it on the only uke I've finished so far, and loved it. As mentioned, don't try to build too thick, too quick. It feels tacky if you work it while it is drying or if there is too much oil. The residue on the bottle does get crusty, so wipe any liquid from the threads before recapping.
Please post pictures when you're finished with the finish! Beth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:38 pm 
Koa
Koa

And I should have also cautioned you (and you lurkers) to shake up your aerosol can vigorously, or gently stir your non-aerosol can every day. Like a lot of varnishes, this has driers and solids which tend to settle. I have long suspected that those who complain about the stuff never hardening brought it on themselves....by letting their drying agents settle to the bottom of the bottle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Have applied 3 coats of True Oil at this point . I am begginning to think that 320G final sand wasnt fine enough . I think next time I will go to 600 or better before Tru Oil . It looks good , but the slight scratches from the 320 do show . Maybe they will disappear with more coats . idunno

Attachment:
100_1175.jpg
Attachment:
100_1176.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:15 pm 
Koa
Koa

Your 320 scratches won't go away. But they're probably not real obvious, either. If they are bothering you, I think it's better to sand them out right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

cphanna wrote:
Your 320 scratches won't go away. But they're probably not real obvious, either. If they are bothering you, I think it's better to sand them out right now.

No they are not obvious , they show a bit depending on angle you look at the back . No im not to concerned .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:51 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bryan
Last Name: Bear
City: St. Louis
State: Mo
Tru-oil really shows your surface prep. As said, the scratches will not disappear. One of the things I like about TO, is that you can see what you missed or needs to be cleaned up before you have too much time invested int the finish and you can fix it right away.

Take care of your feet, and your feet will take care of you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:07 pm 
Koa
Koa

So, Buddy, you need to decide if you can live with the tiny scratches. If they don't bother you too much, keep applying the Tru Oil. But if there's the slightest nagging doubt in your mind, sand back right now and correct your surface prep. One good thing: The only application of Tru Oil that penetrated the wood will probably still be in there when you finish re-sanding the guitar. The surface film will probably start building pretty quickly. It's up to you, man. And I'm not being critical here. If it's not bothering you and the instrument is for your own use, you can press on. But if you're the slightest bit worried, now is the time to fix it.
Best of luck, either way!
Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks for the suggestion and I am ok with it . I ahve 3 coats of Tru oil on now and here is what it's looking like at this point

Attachment:
100_1177.jpg
Attachment:
100_1178.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:32 pm 
Koa
Koa

Well, you know, man, it looks pretty darn good to me. So, like I said, if you are cool with it, then life is good! Go rub some more oil! (But remember, THIN coats! Don't get in a hurry now! Hear me?!) If your inner self nags you when you are trying to go to sleep tonight, then sand it out. Either way, I think you'll be pretty fine with it.

Straight ahead!
Patrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Erik
Last Name: Hauri
State: Maryland
Bryan Bear wrote:
Tru-oil really shows your surface prep. As said, the scratches will not disappear. One of the things I like about TO, is that you can see what you missed or needs to be cleaned up before you have too much time invested int the finish and you can fix it right away.

This. [:Y:]

I like it best using 0000 steel wool to knock down the gloss, its a great natural-looking finish. And the only one I can apply in the winter indoors!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I can see the Satin finish , but I do kinda like the gloss finish as well , Have u ever left one glossy ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Kenneth
Last Name: Jeffs
City: Chesterfield
State: MO
Zip/Postal Code: 63017
Hi. Jim,

That really looks great. How have you been? I know this is busy season for you but it looks like you have been putting that spare time to good use. I finally got the reso sprayed and waiting to do final level and buffing. Waiting for the finish to gas off before you can touch final steps is the worst part of this for me. LOL

I will post some pictures of it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Erik
Last Name: Hauri
State: Maryland
WudWerkr wrote:
I can see the Satin finish , but I do kinda like the gloss finish as well , Have u ever left one glossy ?

Yes, the scroll in my profile pic is glossy Tru Oil, roughly 40 very thin coats with the last 5 or so cut with successively higher amounts of naptha (the last coat about 25% naptha). The bass is now 7 years older and still glossy, but the finish has shrunk back a little and a bit of the wood pore structure is showing through - bocote has huge pores, and I basically just filled them with the Tru Oil.

You won't get that "dipped in glass" look but you can get close.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:35 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Erik Hauri wrote:
WudWerkr wrote:

Yes, the scroll in my profile pic is glossy Tru Oil, roughly 40 very thin coats with the last 5 or so cut with successively higher amounts of naptha (the last coat about 25% naptha). The bass is now 7 years older and still glossy, but the finish has shrunk back a little and a bit of the wood pore structure is showing through - bocote has huge pores, and I basically just filled them with the Tru Oil.

You won't get that "dipped in glass" look but you can get close.

Ok so 40 coats , I have 5-6 on now , How many do you suggest as a " minimum" so to speak . I know its a guestimate , but whats the minimum You would do ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:47 pm 
Koa
Koa

Hey, Wud, If you have the patience to build 40 coats, you've got another option. You can actually level sand this stuff when you've built it up far enough. Then you can polish through successive grits of micro mesh pads (I rub them dry) and then finish up with Mequire's swirl remover (from an auto parts store) and a soft cloth. It can, indeed, be made to shine like it was fresh dipped.

Here's the thing: If you're shooting for that or even considering that ultimate plan, start building up coats on a piece of scrap right now. Every time you add a coat to the guitar, add one to the scrap, too. Prepare it with sealer coats first, etc. When you think you might have enough to level sand and polish, do that on your scrap first. If you don't have any rub-throughs there, you should be okay on the guitar. And I would apply another few coats on top of the level sand, too. And let them cure three or four weeks before polishing.

It's a method that requires patience. Not for those on a production schedule.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:56 pm 
Koa
Koa

Location: 8.33±0.35 kpc from Galactic center, 20 light-years above the equatorial in the Sol System
First name: duh
Last Name: Padma
City: Professional Sawdust Maker
40 coats?

Since when you become an AR retentive dude?

I me duh Padma suggest you slap on a few coats, send it down on down the line and start the next one. laughing6-hehe

40 coats! Ya right! pfft

blessings

Audiences and dispensations on Thursdays ~ by appointment only.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:58 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

cphanna wrote:
Hey, Wud, If you have the patience to build 40 coats, you've got another option. You can actually level sand this stuff when you've built it up far enough. Then you can polish through successive grits of micro mesh pads (I rub them dry) and then finish up with Mequire's swirl remover (from an auto parts store) and a soft cloth. It can, indeed, be made to shine like it was fresh dipped.

Here's the thing: If you're shooting for that or even considering that ultimate plan, start building up coats on a piece of scrap right now. Every time you add a coat to the guitar, add one to the scrap, too. Prepare it with sealer coats first, etc. When you think you might have enough to level sand and polish, do that on your scrap first. If you don't have any rub-throughs there, you should be okay on the guitar. And I would apply another few coats on top of the level sand, too. And let them cure three or four weeks before polishing.

It's a method that requires patience. Not for those on a production schedule.

I was Thinking 8-10 coats , and thats kinda why I was asking for ideas. At 6 you can see the grain really well and its still got alot of shine . I was just looking for a happy medium ....... I may go 12 , I have a feeling I am putting it on thicker than you guys have , after about 2 hrs its dried nicely and no tacky feeling .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:00 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

the Padma wrote:
40 coats?

Since when you become an AR retentive dude?

I me duh Padma suggest you slap on a few coats, send it down on down the line and start the next one. laughing6-hehe

40 coats! Ya right! pfft

blessings

HEEYYY Save ME soma that Black Beer DUDE !!! laughing6-hehe laughing6-hehe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:55 pm 
Koa
Koa

Yo, Wud, and Padma,
Remember, boys, I didn't say 40 coats was the only way to go. Someone else mentioned 40 coats. I only pointed out that a built up surface that thick could be a candidate for a real high gloss rub out.

...and it would be....

Wud, I think your guitar is looking pretty nice, as I have already said.

Look, man, you don't have to build it to anyone's standards but your own. You will be your own worst critic. So...if you dig the way it looks after six or eight coats, then go with that, by all means!

I was just pointing out a cool option that would give a visual effect comparable to your wildest high gloss dreams.....IF you had the patience to go that far.

If your sensibilities are a little more expedient, then go with what you've got. Nothin' wrong with what you've got, as long as it pleases you!

Best regards to all reading,
Pat