Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Same rules apply to all forums at the Luthiers Forum.

Post subject: An Anniversary Mandolin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:42 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Patrick
Last Name: Hanna
State: Missouri
Hi, All. My buddy, Steve, asked me to help him build a mandolin for his wife. It commemorates their 35th anniversary. I don't know much about mandolins, but the two of us muddled through and finally managed to finish a nice little instrument. The design is all about simplicity of construction. We started with an f-model shape, but simplified it in every way possible. This means flat top and back with induced arch, a horn instead of a scroll, a bolt on neck, and a heel that butts squarely to the body. Rims were sanded on a 12-inch radius dish, and the top and back were also braced on this dish, so the thickness of the instrument tapers nicely in all directions from the center.

Top is redwood. Back and sides are Missouri black walnut. Neck is black walnut with a lamination of maple veneer along the center line. Decorative veneers are burl walnut. Fingerboard and bridge, which we also built, are rosewood.

I am still fussing over the truss rod cover and the pick guard, so the lady will probably receive her gift before those are mounted. Still, I think you'll get the idea. This is the first instrument my friend has built, and only the fourth for me. He participated in all the steps, and I gave a lot of help along the way. It was a case of the blind leading the blind, but we're pleased with the outcome.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
Beautifull work ! [:Y:] I like the design and the " simplicity " of the mando as you say.
Personally I prefer the Mando's to have less "glitz" as it were , to me it makes the Quality of the wuwerk stand out . But thats just my view point.

Either way im sure she will be happy with it , love to hear a clip of her sing !

Great work. [clap]

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:51 am 
Koa
Koa

Hi, again, and thanks for the compliment. We couldn't find an experienced player to record a sound sample for us, so the new owner's son made a sample for us yesterday. Nothing fancy here. He strums through some chords and lets each one ring, and then plucks and tremolos some single notes in the last fifteen seconds.
I think it'll give you an idea. You'll find the sample here:

http://hotfile.com/dl/93252928/1a06d32/ ... 2.MP3.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:19 pm 
Koa
Koa

Here's a final shot showing our heart-shaped sound hole, and the pick guard in place.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Big
Last Name: Jim
State: Deep in the heart of Bluegrass
Focus: Build
I love it , Sound's excellent to me , plenty of tone and sustain there ! I look forward to seeing more of your work ! [:Y:] [clap]

Beautifull job !!

Forgiveness is the ability to accept an apology that you will probably NEVER GET
The truth will set you free , But FIRST, it will probably Piss you Off !
Creativity is allowing yourself to make Mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to Keep !
The Saddest thing anyone can do , is push a Loyal Person to the point that they Dont Care Anymore
Never met a STRONG person who had an EASY past !
http://wiksnwudwerks.blogspot.com/
http://www.facebook.com/groups/GatewayA ... rAssembly/