It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:32 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Matt
Last Name: Readhimer
Focus: Build
Hey everyone, glad to be part of the community. I'm hoping to learn from you all and successfully build my first guitar :)
So I purchased a Kramer 24 fret neck under the assumption that you could bolt it to just about any guitar body...well that assumption was wrong. I originally wanted to bolt it on a V or Star body, but from what I've read on the net you'd have to re-route the neck pickup further back to make room for the neck. Then there's the issue with the bridge...it's my understanding that you generally want to stay within the Strat scale of 25.5 inches. I contacted Warmoth and they told me that they don't make a body that will utilize my neck, so that's out. So does anyone know of a body I could use without modification? Any advice or suggestions for my build would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:04 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
I would need to know all of the specifications about the neck. Scale length (measure to the 12th fret accurately and double), exact size of the heel, fret number at the body joint, f/b radius... 24 frets is unusual for a Fender style guitar - most are 21 or 22. With that information it would be possible to build a body to fit, but the the smart thing would be to buy a Kramer body that was designed to go with that neck.

Edit to add, it looks like Kramer has built both 25.5 (Fender) and 24.75 (Gibson) scale neck and there seems to be a lot of variation in them

http://www.vintagekramer.com/parts7.htm

A good builder could make a body to fit, its going to be a crap shoot to try to buy or modify something. I would want the neck in my hands