Walnut
Walnut

First name: Gustavo Adolfo
Last Name: Costa
City: São Paulo
State: SP
Zip/Postal Code: 04524-020
Focus: Build
Hi, this is the mock up of a project I'm developing. It should be like a more rounded version of a Gibson Sg with two different pickups, both custom built by Gemini Guitars in New York. One is a DeArmond Goldfoil based, for the neck, and the bridge one is inspired by the DiMarzio SD. The idea is to have a versatile axe both for jazz and surf music, vintage tones, and more modern rock and distorted sounds.

That said I need to advices:

1 - any insights on the electronics? Potentiometers, capacitors, electric diagrams?

2 - how to achieve this color on wood? Which stain and which technique should I Use?

Thanks.ImageImage

Enviado de meu ASUS_X00QD usando o Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:21 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
The finish is just clear over Mahogany. Looks like African Mahogany on those guitars.

Wiring? many many ways to do that.... I would recommend either CTS or Bournes pots and switchcraft jack and toggle. Here is a great index of two P-up wiring options with diagrams. https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wi ... -diagrams/

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:49 am 
Walnut
Walnut

B. Howard wrote:
The finish is just clear over Mahogany. Looks like African Mahogany on those guitars.

Wiring? many many ways to do that.... I would recommend either CTS or Bournes pots and switchcraft jack and toggle. Here is a great index of two P-up wiring options with diagrams. https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wi ... -diagrams/
Thanks for the wiring info. About the color. The thing is that I'm not using mahogany, I'm working with a wood called cariniana brasiliensis, which has the same characteristics but is more yellowish and clear than the first. So it needs to be stained.Image

Enviado de meu ASUS_X00QD usando o Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
My humble thoughts. I've never built an SG - that neck pocket and short tenon scares me (I have built 335's and LP's and others with long tenons). There are a couple of folks on the forum who have built them.

As far as the electronics - you show standard 2V2T with a 3 position switch, I would use the pickup manufacturers recommendations for values. Its also might be worth your while to review the wonderful videos that David Collins has posted at the Ann Arbor website (go down a ways)

http://www.annarborguitars.com/styled-4/index.html

To me the wood in the picture looks like sapelle and that is its natural color and striping. The finish in the picture would be any one of several satin finishes. Sapelle needs to be pore filled - again there are several options which might add a little color (red/brown paste filler). I like a finishing resin called Zpoxy as a pore filler because it also enhances the grain.

You can do lots of things with stains to change the color of wood but the only way you are going to find out is practice on scrap. I frequently stain mahogany necks to the same color as rosewood or cocobolo or something else, but I do a lot of practice first.

Good luck, show pictures when you are done.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:48 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

From my experience getting one wood to look like another never works out that great....

So it is a relative of the Brazil Nut tree family, a plain grained and boring looking wood. The ribbon figure is what makes those African Mahogany examples look so great. No stain in the world will match that. I am also willing to bet your wood is already darker than the mahogany by the look of things in the pic as when clear goes on the wood will darken considerably.

FWIW I give that neck joint about 4 months under string tension.... That's just not enough engagement between the neck and the body.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:56 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

B. Howard wrote:
From my experience getting one wood to look like another never works out that great....

So it is a relative of the Brazil Nut tree family, a plain grained and boring looking wood. The ribbon figure is what makes those African Mahogany examples look so great. No stain in the world will match that. I am also willing to bet your wood is already darker than the mahogany by the look of things in the pic as when clear goes on the wood will darken considerably.

FWIW I give that neck joint about 4 months under string tension.... That's just not enough engagement between the neck and the body.

I dunno if it's the photo, but this wood is definitely clearer than mahogany. I'll have to stain anyway, but I'm in doubt on which products to use. I have a website where I would buy products - I dunno if you can help me since the website is in portuguese, would you mind to try? https://ironfittings.com.br

About the neck joint, you're probably right, but i'm not gluing the neck, it would be bolt on. (since I rather than this way0> Do you think it will work?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I don't see anything there that would work as a good stain. Can you get Behlen products there?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:24 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Gustavo, there is a guy on the TDPRI forum right now building an SG and dealing with some of the neck pocket issues.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/sg-build.967786/

My humble opinion has always been that the short tenon is way too short and should be extended into the pickup cavity as far as possible. I don't think it matters whether it is glue in or screwed in, but I'll leave that up to you. Also it seems like over the years Gibson changed both the angle and overstand on SG's - it goes without saying to get the geometry correct with respect to the bridge that you will be using.