Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:22 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Alex
Focus: Repair
Hey there, first time poster here. I have little to no experience with building guitars, but I've been interested in modifying them for a while. I have moderate experience with woodworking and wanted to see if anyone had some recommendations to get a specific effect I'm looking for. I want to selectively stain a maple fretboard so sections under accidentals have a darker stain, and sections under natural notes have a lighter stain (similar to piano keys). I'm looking for a technique that can get the finest details possible with very little splotching (Ideally I want a method where I can lightly trace out a grid pattern to differentiate the "keys"). I'd prefer to get the subtlest effect possible (I'd prefer to avoid an extreme contrast between the light and dark, and for the wood grain to be visible under the darker stain).

My thought was to mask and sand down the clear coat on the darker sections of the pattern so the light sections are still protected. Then, with the same mask still applied, apply a dye or stain. I've heard Fiebing's Oil Dye is a good choice, but I was wondering if anyone had experience selectively staining with it. Once that is done, I'd apply a bit of clear coat, remove the mask (except over frets), lightly sand, and then apply a final clear coat layer. Does this sound like it will work? Any tips?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:07 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
You will sand through your masking doing as you propose.

To do as you suggest you would need to start with a bare fret board surface without frets installed. Mask off the pattern to expose the portions you want natural and apply a sealer. An Isolante or 2k type would be preferred but thin CA could work in a pinch. The key here is to have the lighter sections sealed with a sealer that will not allow edge creep and will not soften and absorb stain. Next remove the masking and apply darker stain. The unsealed sections will now take the stain and frets can be installed. Finishing from here is the same as any other neck....

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:18 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
While Brian has told you how to do it, I wonder why you want to do it. First, do you really want your fretboard to look like a checker board? Will you really be looking at it thinking "this is where I put my finger to make a C sharp" or lets see, a D chord has a D and an A and a F#, that means these two light squares and one dark one...." Second, do you really look at the fretboard that much while playing? I have played guitars with no fret markers and do surprisingly well (I do like side marker dots however). And last, but far from least, what happens with you alter your tuning - drop it down a step, tune to an open or minor chord?

Frankly I would try it with some sort of stick on tape or something similar to see how you will like and use it before you commit to a whole lot of work,. Remember that once you've stained the f/b it is pretty much irreversible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:13 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Alex
Thanks for the tip on how to finish from an unfinished neck Brian, I'm thinking that route might make the most sense. I still would like to know if there is a method for modifying an already finished neck though with frets attached, or is it just a bit too much work to be practical?

Freeman I see your point and appreciate the feedback, and I think I will start with a printout and see if I like it as you recommended. The guitar in question stays in standard tuning most often, and when I do use drop tunings it tends to be for songs I already know how to play or for covers. I would mainly be using it during practice or while improvising, and when performing I don't stare at the neck much anyway so I don't foresee an issue there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:55 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
You could prep the FB, mask off the lighter sections and shoot it with a dark color or toner and then clear over. This would be a PITA to get it to look clean along the frets though.

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/