It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Focus: Build
Looking good so far. Basswood is a fairly soft wood with fairly low density, that means it will build a light weight instrument. It is easily worked, but also easily scratched - watch out for that when you do your finish. In my opinion finishing an electric guitar has no effect on the acoustic sound - it does on an acoustic however.

I would argue against gluing the neck into the pocket unless you are absolutely certain the geometry is perfect and won't change. I build both set neck (Gibson style) and screwed neck (Fender style) - both have advantages but I think you defeat them by mixing. I would be inclined to shim the pocket with veneers to get the fit perfect but rely on the screws. Even thou you have a 24 fret neck it is a fairly long tenon and you should be plenty strong.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:40 am 
Walnut
Walnut

B. Howard wrote:
If it is a bolt on neck with a two way rod my advice is put it together and string it up and adjust it. See what it does with 145# of tension on it...... Two way rods allow for adjustment either way to compensate for things like this where the wood has changed a bit since it was made half way around the globe.

Tuned up with strings on, the neck is quite different, I am able to get it pretty much straight all over.