Cocobolo

First name: Rick
Last Name: Hubka
City: Chemainus
State: BC
Zip/Postal Code: V0R 1K1
Focus: Build
Hi People.

Thought I should share this project because it's somewhat different!

About 14 months ago we had a first and new Craft Brewery Opening in our small town of Chemainus BC Canada.
I met the owners while it was under construction and they asked if I could make a wavy edged 10 foot high Lightening Bolt sign and they would pay money and free beer for quite some time [:Y:]

Here's the finished and installed sign and me:
Attachment:
0_10_Foot_Sign.jpg

So after 14 months my free supply of beer was drying up. gaah
I had been thinking for a year that the lightening bolt shape electric guitar might make a cool project for them some day. Then I saw an on-line ad selling a damaged old Epiphone start copy. The body was cracked badly so I got it for 20. Perfect! Ok... Lets start a new lightening bolt body. I had some nice dry 2" maple.
Attachment:
1_Riot_Clamping.jpg

I used my CNC machine to make it perfectly flat and take the thickness down to 1.70
I fellow from the Vectric forum had given me the cnc Aspire file for a Fender strat so I modified it and cut the pockets.
I decided to use a large Pool cavity for the pickups to reduce weight because this guitar is going to be somewhat over sized and heavy.
Attachment:
2_CNCd.jpg

Next I outside profile CNC cut the reduced 10 Foot lightening bolt file as the final wavy body outline.
Then used a angle grinder with flapped sanding disk to carve out the back body recess cavity.
Attachment:
3_back.jpg

As you know, on the top of the fender one part is tapered from from 1.7 down to 1.1 or so for comfortable arm movement. I did this to all 4 points on the top side for looks and to remove weight. I have a 6" inch Jointer. I removed everything from the top of the machine and using shims to angle the body, I eyeball planned all 4 top body points. Worked great!
Then sand... sand... sand... To get into all those wavy body side dimples smooth I used 3M Flexible sandpaper. Basically rubber sandpaper. Then screwed on the painting handle.
Attachment:
4_Ready4Paint.jpg

Here's the body after the first of what I expect to be 4 coats of (2 part) black epoxy paint.
Attachment:
6_First_Coat.jpg

Oh and I made a Water slide Decal on my printer with the Brewery's wavy font for the head stock. I looks great on the Epiphone bat wing style strat head stock.
Attachment:
5_Water_Slide_Headd_Stock.jpg

My next post on this project in about a week will show my final few steps and the completed guitar. I have the white pick guard material and will cnc cut it once I decide on a design. Before I install the pickup, controls and neck I need to sand/paint, sand/paint, sand/paint.

I hate sanding :(

Hope you enjoyed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

These users thanked the author Rick Hubka for the post: John Lewis (Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:09 pm)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Quote:
I hate sanding

That's why God invented apprentices.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:05 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Lewis
City: Newnan
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30265
Focus: Build
I like the guitar but you already had me at free beer! Cool!