PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:02 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
Focus: Build
If u follow acoustic forum, u know that's my passion. A friend of mine gave me some wood from a black walnut tree his grandfather planted when he was a boy. I estimate it's over 70 years old. I used the template (pics below) to rout the shape. I have several questions. How thick should the body be sanded to? How deep should the channels be routed? He wants to do through body string with ferrels. Do I need to know anything here? Neck channel? It's not cut in template. What's up with that? He gave me a go by body. Neck on it will be transferred to this one.

Sorry for all these questions. I would appreciate it if a knowing contributor addressed all of these concerns.

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Black Walnut Strat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
The normal neck pocket route for a fender style guitar is 0.625 deep and parallel to the top but I would confirm that with the neck you are going to use. Strat bodies are frequently 1-3/4 thick and can have bevels for the fore arm and belly. On my last tele build I routed the control cavity 1.50 deep and when I lined it with conducting foil the selector switch touched the foil - you might want to go a bit deeper. My tele plans show the bridge pickup cavity at 0.850 deep.

I would suggest getting a good set of plans for the guitar that you want to make - many are available - however it sounds like you have a donor guitar and could just take measurements off of it. Also I would suggest getting your neck, pickups, pots, and all the hardware to take measurement off of. In particular it is nice to have your bridge to make sure that once you have set the neck angle and overstand you will have sufficient adjustment in the saddles to get the action and radius that you want. (there is also a reason that so many fenders have shims in the neck pocket....)

Edit to add, I just looked at some Strat plans by Jamie Unden and he says "rout the control cavity 1" deep, area under switch 1 3/8" deep". I would double check that against your switch

Post subject: Re: Black Walnut Strat
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:54 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Mike
Last Name: O'Melia
City: Huntsville
State: Alabama
I don't know why it did not occur to me to use the donor guitar for measurements. Thanks!