Cocobolo

First name: Wes
Last Name: Young
City: NEWFIELD
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 14867
Focus: Build
Hello,

I just buffed a les paul special style build which I pore filled with z-poxy and sprayed with nitro.
I was buffing around the hard to get to area between the neck joint and the horns and burnt thru to the pore filler
on the tip of the horn and area a little smaller than a dime.

Im flying to LA to give this guitar to my brother in four days and a don't want to make it worse and have even more work to do
to fix it. Any advice or sneaky tricks on this repair would be greatly appreciated.

My gut tells me to just mask off the small spot and hit with some coats today and buff it out the morning before I leave.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

State: Tennessee
Focus: Build
Wes Paul wrote:
Hello,

I just buffed a les paul special style build which I pore filled with z-poxy and sprayed with nitro.
I was buffing around the hard to get to area between the neck joint and the horns and burnt thru to the pore filler
on the tip of the horn and area a little smaller than a dime.

Im flying to LA to give this guitar to my brother in four days and a don't want to make it worse and have even more work to do
to fix it. Any advice or sneaky tricks on this repair would be greatly appreciated.

My gut tells me to just mask off the small spot and hit with some coats today and buff it out the morning before I leave.

Do your spot repair, forget the buffer on new lacquer, 3M rough and fine cut rubbing compound, with a gentle touch can work. Let brother do the final polish in a month or two.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:41 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Brian
Last Name: Howard
City: Magnolia
State: Delaware
Zip/Postal Code: 19962
Focus: Repair
First, Clean clean clean.....buffing wax will cause problems with adhesion, fish eyes etc.

Next prep the area with 600 to promote blending of the finish when buffed. prep an area 3-4 times the size of the area that actually needs repaired.

I use an airbrush for touchups like these. Start by applying material only over the burn through spot. After about 3-4 coats start making the spot a little larger and bringing new material out onto the good finish. The last 2 coats should be cut with thinner 25% and then 50% and feathered out into the larger area you prepped. This will keep the edge of the new work as low as possible and help prevent making a new bare spot at the edge of the repair.

The problem with masking off is the ridge at the tape....when you try top work iut away you usually will cut through the finish in another spot....

You never know what you are capable of until you actually try.

https://www.howardguitarsdelaware.com/