Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:09 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hello all,
I've been trying to design a custom body for a guitar I'm going to put together over the winter. I love the jaguar shape so I'm going to use that as a rough template and I was planning on having a combination of 2 single coil pickups and a humbucker.
I adore the sound of the neck humbucker of my les paul so I figured I'd chuck a humbucker in there* and for the bridge and middle I'd have two single coil pickups for that jangly sound more associated with a Jaguar.

My question is this, I've seen a bunch of different versions of this idea (on strats, jaguarillos etc) but in each one the humbucker is in the bridge position and the single coils are in the middle and neck (HSS). Am I missing something really obvious that would make this the superior choice over a SSH setup? Seeing as nobody appears to do it there must be some pitfall I'm missing?

All feedback/abuse welcome [:Y:]

*I'm aware that simply putting the pickup here isn't going to magically have my frankenguitar sound like a les paul but it's just the general ballpark I'm aiming for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Most makers use a humbucker in the bridge and 2 singles for middle and neck because that's what sells.
Do it the way YOU WANT, and then tell us how wonderful it is once completed.
Good luck, and have fun building it.

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post (total 2): Ponzu (Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:55 am) • Hesh (Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:25 am)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:27 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
What Chris said. There is no functional, electrical, or Lutherie reason why you can't have a hum bucker in the neck position with a Jaguar style body.

It also sounds like a cool idea to me too!

These users thanked the author Hesh for the post: Ponzu (Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:55 am)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:09 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michael
State: AR
Focus: Build
I wouldn't say that the HSS is a superior choice.
I do think that the reasoning for using a combination of HB and single(s) is because the HB's can be split. Having the option to have a humbucker/single option in the neck, bridge or both positions is favored by many.
I also think the HSS is popular because a single coil in the bridge can be to bright for some. I have wired some of my SSS so the tone control controls the bridge as well as middle, just for that reason.

I'm not a fan for getting a single coil sound from splitting the coils of a humbucker but I've never heard/played a lot of guitars with that setup. I'm sure there are some
that would work fine for me. Personally I just like changing guitars for different sounds.

Some Tele style have a single bridge neck humbucker (I've made a few) but I haven't made a Strat style SSH...it would seem best just to HSH with splits at that point.