It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:26 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Nick
Last Name: Adamson
Focus: Build
I'm looking for a clear adhesive tape that can be used on a guitar fretboard without damaging the wood. It would be for guitars with ebony or rosewood fingerboards, unfinished. The goal is a non invasive modification; something that can stick well, but will not leave permanent residue, or take the wood with it, when it is removed. It needs to be a bit flexible; hard plastic with adhesive would not work. I've heard that clear packing tape is used on wood sometimes, but I don't know if it would cause damage if left on for an extended period of time. If anyone has suggestions for what material I could use, please let me know! If you have any questions, please ask. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:38 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
More details are needed before I would answer.... What are you trying to do with the tape?

These users thanked the author Chris Pile for the post: Hesh (Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:01 am)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:44 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Chris Pile wrote:
More details are needed before I would answer.... What are you trying to do with the tape?

Attaching LEDs to the fretboard. I know most people would install them in the fretboard; I want to see if I can do it in a way that is non invasive. I would be using surface mount sized LEDs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

So Nick,
You plan to run wires up the side of the neck and then onto the face of the fret board where you will tape them down along with surface mount LEDs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:06 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If you're testing this out as a concept, I'd start with some plain old Scotch tape. Chances are that once you try playing with it for a while, feeling the LED's and wire beneath your hands, you'll likely find plenty of other issues which will leave you grateful you didn't invest too much time worrying about the adhesive. ;)

Seriously though, that's what I recommend. If the proof of concept shows to be worthy of going forward, you can worry about other adhesives then. My honest guess is that what adhesive you use will end up being among the least of your concerns though. Even with a fine ribbon wire running along the bass side of the neck, anything mounted to the surface of the neck or board will be a pretty major detractor to comfort and playability.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:12 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

It's a good idea, of course, to run tests before getting too involved. I've determined that it's not too uncomfortable, however, so I'm looking for a permanent solution.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:56 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

If you're only looking at attachments to the board itself, rosewood or ebony, I'd use superglue. It may put the LED components at risk during removal, but a little dab under each part will scrape off and clean up just fine from the board should you ever wish to remove it.

As with most any adhesive though, the factors which determine how clean it will come off or how much trace it will leave behind, will depend as much on skills and techniques of removal as the adhesive itself. Lots of variables, how permanent you want it, how durable the bond needs to be, what value is placed on preservation of original condition with the instrument it will be installed on, etc. Honestly sounds like a job for CA to me though.

These users thanked the author David Collins for the post: telperionflower (Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:44 am)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:43 am 
Walnut
Walnut

David Collins wrote:
Honestly sounds like a job for CA to me though.

David, thanks! What is CA?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:02 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
CA is super glue.