Walnut
Walnut

First name: Michael
Last Name: Hooper
City: Kent
State: WA
Zip/Postal Code: 98042
Focus: Build
I wasn't sure where to post this question, but since this is the "Electric Guitar & Bass Construction" area, I thought it might be relevant.
I just bought (8/21/15) a BC Rich Mockingbird ST from guitar center, and I really am happy with it, but I think it may have been misrepresented as a neck through design, but I am not sure.
I don't have a ton of guitar construction knowledge, which is why I need some help here.
My understanding is that a neck-through is a solid piece of material (generally wood I would assume) that runs the entire length of the instrument.
A set-neck, has the general appearance of a neck through, however, the neck is glued to the rest of the body.
It appears that the Mockingbird I got, is a set-neck, and not a neck-through.
I have included pics to help try and identify which type the guitar this is.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
Obviously a set neck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rodger
Last Name: Knox
City: Baltimore
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21234
It does look like a set neck, but the neck could extend all the way to the end of the guitar.
Neckthroughs usually have the neck wood the full thickness of the body, but you could have what is essentially a neck pocket that extends all the way across the body. I've done a 5 string bass that was built that way, there are reasons for that method. I was using a top and back plate, so the through neck doesn't show on the top or the back.
I doubt that BC Rich does that on a production guitar, but you can use a thinner(and cheaper) blank for the neck, so they might.
I'll agree with Chris, I think it's a set neck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:19 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Jim
Last Name: Outman
City: LaGrange
State: GA
Zip/Postal Code: 30240
Ken smith basses are built with a thinner neck than the body. Makes for some nice layered woodwork. If it goes from the head to the tail, it's a neck thru.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/ne ... sr5tn.html

Can you see it from the front?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:08 am 
Koa
Koa

it's a modern day neck through...

by that I mean the actual neck board does continue all the way to the end of the body...but said neck board starts out at 1" thick or so...modern Jackson Soloists are treated the similarly, except for their neck blanks are glued up layers of wood and the wings of the guitar body are glued onto that, that Mockingbird appears to have the body routed out for said neck blank to continue through.

old school would be the neck blank either being a solid/laminated chunk of wood at least the thickness of the body to start out with...maybe thicker to allow for the headstock to do its tilt without having to do a scarf joint...either way said chunk is bandsawn to basic profile with any neck angle desired set up...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

hmmm...that is NOT a Mockingbird ST...or STQ...those both have ebony stringers on the sides of the neck blank, and those guitars do use a solid chunk of wood for the neck...they also have ebony fretboards

http://www.bcrich.com/mockingbird/guitars

that being said (and looked at) I guess that is a set neck guitar, but NOT an ST

my first post was just theory on the assumption (yeah...ass*u*me) that it is a B.C. Rich Mockingbird...I don't think it is upon reflection on this subject...

Jackson does do their neck throughs in the methodology I described and I assumed Rich had changed things around a bit...apparently not...

I saw a few ads for a supposed "B.C. Rich Pro X Custom Mockingbird ST" but don't know what the flip that means as said model is NOT listed on the B.C. Rich site...