Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:47 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Hi, this is my first post here, so sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have an old Silvertone electric guitar that was given to me by my great grandpa. Its pretty old and I'd like to upgrade it with modern hardware and pickups along with a custom finish. Only problem is that this is my first time doing any kind of work on a guitar and have no idea how to make this guitar look the way I want it to. Here are some pictures of the guitar (had to use links because the pictures were too large.):
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
Image 6
Image 7

I want to remove the current finish on the body, neck and headstock and put a custom finish on it. I'd also like to know if it would be possible to put a quilt/flame maple top on the body and headstock after removing the original finish to achieve the look I want. Other upgrades I'd like to do are putting a new bridge, removing the fabric-like binding from the sides of the body, changing the lipstick pickups to a set of SD humbuckers, and putting a set of Grover tuners on the guitar. Any advice on how to go about this project (order of steps, tools, techniques, etc.) is appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:10 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Michael
State: AR
Focus: Build
Welcome Joseph.

You're probably not going to like what I have to say so I'll apologize for not attempting to help with your inquiries.

I wouldn't do anything UNLESS it needed to be done to make it playable or eliminate any unwanted noises.

Especially since there is such sentimental value ( I assume).

Not long ago I decided to restore my very first guitar. A 1963 Harmony and although I was just glad I still owned it I wished
that I had left it alone rather than modifications I made when I was younger. Since I had made them it seemed to just had to it's story though...even so I still think you'll be glad down the road you kept it as original as possible.

If you also have the case with the amp/tremelo/trem switch....wow...what a great thing you have....as is.

Last edited by Sandywood on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:23 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Sandywood wrote:
Welcome Joseph.

You're probably not going to like what I have to say so I'll apologize for not attempting to help with your inquiries.

I wouldn't do anything UNLESS it needed to be done to make it playable or eliminate any unwanted noises.

Yeah, I guess I never though about that...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chris
Last Name: Pile
City: Wichita
State: Kansas
Focus: Repair
ALSO - you could probably build what you wanted for less than modifying the classic old guitar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:39 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Van
Last Name: Savage
City: Marion
State: AR
Zip/Postal Code: 72364
I love that guitar. Just clean it up, buff it out, and fix any electronic problems which can be done beneath the surface so the "look" can be maintained. If you want, new pickups can replace those without much fuss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Lonnie
Last Name: Barber
City: Manchester
State: Tennessee
Zip/Postal Code: 37355
I agree Joseph. Just clean it,play it, love it. You'll be glad you did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:01 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Jonathan
Last Name: MacFarlane
City: Buford
State: Georgia
Zip/Postal Code: 30519
Yeah, just clean up the finish (clean, polish, etc.). If you're wanting to make it better for your own personal use, replace the tuners and pickups/electronics. Might be able to find a modern tremolo bridge that'll fit, too, but that's a weird bridge shape so maybe not. Whatever you replace, keep the original stuff. If you ever get sick of it, some Jack White fan will probably pay big(ish) bucks for it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:04 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Don't do it!
Regardless of any sentimental value it may or may not have, that guitar is actually quite valuable as it is and ANY changes or "upgrades" you make will destroy its collector value. Even buffing it. It is worth a fair chunk to the right buyer.
If you don't like it then keep it in the case or sell it on eBay.

These users thanked the author Dave Locher for the post: Lonnie J Barber (Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:25 pm)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:43 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Humbuckers? Flame maple top? I'm sorry, but that is like inheriting a classic old Caddy and wondering how to turn it into a Baja truck. Not everyone loves a classic Caddy, and a Baja truck with a huge lift and knobbly tires can be great fun. Just don't waste your time trying to make one into the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk