Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: stan
Last Name: thomison
City: branson
State: mo
Zip/Postal Code: 65616
Focus: Build
As most old timers know, 90% of my builds go to disabled vets, kids or schools. To expensive to do 100% of them, but if ever win lottery and to that would have to buy a ticket which haven't done yet. I have made all my efforts thus far in acoustics with maybe around 50 builds and also repairs of project guitar try to buy off ebay or garage sales to fix or redo. I put same effort into these as if a 4K guitar to a commission. I don't do major repairs thus far on expensive guitars or restoration. I refer what not comfortable with to those who can do the right work. But all the reairs on cheaper insturments give me more confidence each time to do more and really has helped my building.

Now after all that nonsense is my point. I have built one electric and that was 6 years ago with kit at Galloup's school. I have not bought or worked on electrics until very recently. I have six kids and sixteen grandkids, so grandkids have been wanting electric guitars, so thought better start getting into that. Also, for my client base who may want electrics. I have bought a couple of Gibson and Epi project bodies off ebay and one neck. What I am finding is really a bunch of difference in bridges, saddles, pups etc. I am now familier with the pu's like humbuckers and things of those sorts. but bridges and saddles are still somewhat confusing. What is a Wrap around bridge or saddle. I not the Gibson Baldwin I have has only a postion for a bridge and the Les Paul style has holes for two things which I guess is a Stop and a bridge is that right.

I don't or can't of course put in factory parts or real expensive pups or whatever. On the same hand, I don't want to put in cheap stuff that won't hold up or sound horrible. Can some of you folks help me out with what would be good but reasonable styles and makes of some of this hardware, pickups etc. It would be very much appreciated. I am doing more repairs on electric's right now and until really comfortable with wiring, how want to route channels and study them a little more. I also really like repair work. I also from working in shops and my own stuff find colors are not always the same. The bodies and necks I have bougt all have chips and things in them, so need to drop fill. What do most do for those, since so many colors. I mean I am finding different shades of black even. Are there sources for the stuff used in proper colors or do I just need to use the dyes and get them mixed close in mixing that with lacquer. Will not be doing full or complete spray jobs except for my own builds and have state of art booth for that stuff available.

Thanks folks, sometimes think acoustics are easier, but guess it is just a matter of what have done for 6 yrs versus never doing them. I know I keep away from Floyd Rose stuff, just seeing Matt mess with them at Moll's.

Post subject: Re: Help with parts
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Yes on the Les Paul having a bridge and a stop bar.

Here's a pic of a wraparound bridge:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Shop_by_brand/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_bridges/1/Pigtail_Aluminum_Wraparound_Bridge/Pictures.html#details

The OEM prices from TonePros are quite good (especially considering the hardware), or you can set up a builder account with Allparts and get good pricing on parts. I'm one of those weird people that thinks pickups have the majority vote on sound, so I think they're worth spending on. GuitarElectronics.com has good prices on them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:34 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

You may want to try Guitarfetish.com. Many of there parts are good quality at reasonable prices.. They buy overstocks from other manufactures and also some foreign. Most all I have used and seen have been excellent quality for the dollar. There GFS pickups are very nice for the price as well as Carvin.com. there parts are limited but reasonable and the pickups are very good as well. You also may look at the classifieds on other forums. Project guitar, MIMF and others. Many times, other builders are selling something they have decided not to use.

MK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:13 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

If some of you stuff goes to charity try contacting Stew Mac and see if they'll donate anything?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:56 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

allparts has alot of stuff and they have economy pickups and the Razor pickups are not to bad. I have one of their p90s in my custom SG.