Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: LP/PRS body taper
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:35 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

These carved top bodies taper from a high point at the bridge, down to the thickness at the neck. How do you guys accomplish this? Seems like a lot of work with a plane. Wondering if anyone uses their thickness sander or planer to do this. I was thinking a tapered jig, double side taped to the bottom, would allow it to go through and let the machine do this for you. What say you????

Post subject: Re: LP/PRS body taper
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:09 am 
Koa
Koa

I just taper mine from the neck/body joint to the end of the fingerboard, and do it with a handplane. Anyway, I think your idea of a sled with a shim would work fine. Maybe some wooden stops on both ends, glued or nailed in place, instead of just double sided tape.

"The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh." The Stranger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Well, kind of answered my own question. Tried to thin the cut off for my scarf joint in the planer and that didn't work. I think because there's really no place for the drive rollers to hold to, it bounced around and made a mess of it. I think the same thing would happen with a piece that was fed through with the angled shims underneath. Good news is I was able to salvage it. It's all clamped up and drying now. So I guess I'll have to do it by hand. Shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I made a table saw sled and clamped the body to it. Set the angle of the blade and to max height and let it rip through. I then completed the ramp with a hand plane. Works like a charm.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:57 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Google Myka Guitars Neck jig (or look it up on ProjectGuitar.com's forums) for a router jig setup that's usable for anything from fitting set necks at the right angle easily (what it was designed for) to routing the reference angle into a top (what I do when the wood's too figured/is fighting my handplane too much).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I just use a router to go around the edge of the body to set a uniform depth then hit it with a grinder and abrasive wheel to hog off the meat and finish off with planes and sandpaper. The grinder is messy but it works fast. Eat Drink beehive Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:33 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Rob…I use two tapered wedges cut from ¾” stock and tape them to the bottom of the body. Then I run it through my drum sander. The sander takes longer than my planner but it eliminates tear-out on figured maple. It’s real simple and easy.

"The inconvenience of poor quality will linger long after the thrill of a bargain has been forgotten"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:19 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Erik
Last Name: Hauri
State: Maryland
Focus: Build
+1 build a sled and run it through the thickness sander. You'll need to keep your hands on the body to prevent it from sliding around on the sled, but a little double-stick tape helps. Trig is your friend to calculate the thickness of the shim propping it up, to get you the neck angle you need. Here I am sanding only just enough to get me to the end of the fretboard (white outline).