Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be Nice to our new friends! Remember, everybody starts somewhere!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:07 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

As I said in another post, I am an avid woodworker for some 20+ years. Never built a guitar. My son (29) is a musician by 'hobby' (although he has managed to record and play some clubs). He as a Martin 0000, Epiphone circa '68, Gibson SG, Fender Strat. I thought that a nylon stringed guitar would be a nice addition, and not compete with his other 'high quality' pieces. What is the difference between the various '0's? It was suggested that I get a 000 kit/ plan. In simple terms, what do the 00, 000, and 0000 mean?
I am trying to purchase from a fella who is selling stock in the classifieds. If I cannot find what I want with him, any suggestions of a high quality, reasonable kit that I can purchase for my needs? Thanks, Alan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Focus: Build
The O, OO, OOO are Martin sizes that evolved over the years from small to large before the Drednought came along & became the stereotypical acoustic guitar shape. You can search Google images & see examples of each.

Blues Creek Guitars is John Hall who often posts on this forum. He sells quality kits and provides service after the sale.

Kevin Looker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:34 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Freeman
Last Name: Keller
Alan, as Kevin says, the ought sizes are more or less Martin's standards for smaller bodied guitars - single ought is a parlor size as was played around the turn of the century (Joan Baez played one), double ought are slightly larger and are played by some blues and fingerstyle people, triple ought and the similar OM are very popular "small" guitars favored by all kinds of player - Clapton on Unplugged, Rory Block - just lots of people. Jumbo, Dreadnaught and 0000 are larger. The important thing is that these are all steel string. Here is a picture of an 0, 000 and OM (the twelve string) for comparison - there is also a good size chart at Martin's site

Most nylon string guitars are very close to 00 in size - the one that I built fits that case perfectly. However there are some big differences between classical guitars and steel string - you might want to make sure your son really wants one. Mine did, so I built him a kit from LMI. Here is the build thread

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/archives ... 82_0_9_0_C

http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/archives ... 86_0_6_0_C

And here is the kit wizard http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/GuitarKitWelcome.asp

I would also serious suggest getting Cumpiano's book , it covers building a classical as well as steel string.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Philadelphia
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
Focus: Repair
Freeman since you linked to the kit guitar forum I have a question for you about that site. I registered there at the site and never received the conformation email. I have tried numerous time at having it resent. Who can you contact about this since there are no contact links at all on that site. In the FAQS section it say contact the administrators but that isn't possible without being able to log in....Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Kevin
Last Name: Looker
City: Worthington
State: OH
Zip/Postal Code: 43085
Freeman's link is to the old Kit Guitar archive.

Did you try going to the "new" Kit Guitar forum - there's a link at the top of the page that Freeman linked you to.

If that doesn't work, I believe John Hall of Blues Creek Guitars now runs the forum - he has a web site & he's also a member here.

Kevin Looker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Michael
Last Name: Shaw
City: Philadelphia
State: PA
Zip/Postal Code: 19125
Focus: Repair
Yeah I went to the new one. I was a member at the old one years ago but have no idea of my login name and email address since its changed a few times over the years. I guess I will contact John Hall....Thanks