Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be Nice to our new friends! Remember, everybody starts somewhere!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:01 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Aaron
Last Name: Whiteaker
City: Emporia
State: KS
Zip/Postal Code: 66801
Focus: Build
Hi Everybody,

This is my first post I've been lurking around here for a few months and wanted to say your builds and tips have been an inspiration to me. I just took the plunge and bought a Martin D-28 12 fret kit. I need to put the headstock overlay on and was wondering what the best procedure to do that would be. It's ebony and the guitar is a slothead. Should I trace the outline on the veneer and cut it out close to final shape and then route with a flush cut router bit or something else. Also should I inlay it before or after I install it. Also what is the best way to shape the neck. The profile is good but it needs some fine tuning around the bottom of the headstock and to match the fret board.

Thanks,

Aaron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:04 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Pete
Last Name: Liccardello
City: Eden Prairie
State: Minnesota
Doublearon77 wrote:
Should I trace the outline on the veneer and cut it out close to final shape and then route with a flush cut router bit or something else. Also should I inlay it before or after I install it. Also what is the best way to shape the neck. The profile is good but it needs some fine tuning around the bottom of the headstock and to match the fret board.

Hello Aaron, The answer to your question is "yes"... go ahead and trace the outline on the veneer or else glue the veneer to the headstock and trim it close with a coping saw and then finish up with a file or router with a flush cutting bit. Make sure that the base of the veneer will accommodate your eventual nut location. Don't place it too high up the headstock.

In regards to final shaping of your neck, a narrow jig that holds the neck facing down that clamps to the headstock and the heel is what I use to shape and trim all of my necks. Do a search on neck shaping and I'm sure that you'll find a few photos of what I'm describing. Good luck on your build.