Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Be Nice to our new friends! Remember, everybody starts somewhere!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:17 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Darryl
Last Name: Young
State: AR
Focus: Build
Bought an OM kit from Steve Kovacik. I always like something a little different and stumbled on this kit. After a lot of apprehension, I made the plunge!

Brazillian rosewood, sitka, and mahogany with Brazillian rosewood veneer for headstock, heel cap, and end wedge. Can't wait to get started and sure hope it works well for my girls. It has the 1 11/16" nut width and 2 1/8" string spacing at the bridge which should be nice for them. Only things I might have changed if I ordered custom is a 13 fret neck, a Lutz top, and possibly a deeper body.

View of Kit:

View of Top:

View of Back:

View of Neck & Accessories:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:03 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
Very cool Darryl my friend! [:Y:] [clap] [clap] [clap]

I have never see or heard of a BRW kit before - wanna tell us what it costs, was it like a Brazilian dollars? :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: George
City: Seattle
State: WA
Wow! That's going to be stunning, Darryl. I was looking over Steve's current kit offerings just the other day. He puts together some attractive options. Good luck with your build and have fun!

George :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Darryl
Last Name: Young
State: AR
Hesh, funny! <smile> Actually, it was very reasonable.

George, I hope my building and finishing skills are sufficient to do the back justice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:16 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Chuck
Last Name: Hutchison
City: Houston
State: Texas
Howdy Hesh,
Looks like Steven Kovacik has BW kits that start at $1000.00

Here's his UrLhYpErLiiNk.....http://www.guitar-repair.com/kits.htm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:02 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

The kit that Darryl bought was offered out for bid on ebay with no reserve, so the ebay kit buying group including Darryl decided what the price would be. It ended up no more expensive for him to buy that way than it would have been for him to buy a standard mahogany or rosewood kit of the same type at retail, in fact it was a little cheaper than that.
While the bulk of my offerings are indian rosewood or mahogany I do occasionally offer other desirable woods as well including koa, brazilian rosewood, maple and one or two other woods. The kit that Darryl bought was the result of having a very nice set of madagascar rosewood sides for which I had no matching back and a nice brazilian back for which I had no sides. Not wanting to waste either, and since the figure in the sides was reminiscent enough of brazilian I decided to pair the two as the basis for this kit.

In addition to offering the same types of body sizes and woods that kit builders can readily obtain from a variety of kit vendors I often try to offer kits for more interesting, unusual and at times archaic sizes and styles that you will not find from other vendors. While I occasionally offer such kits on ebay I prefer to sell them privately. Currently (though not yet on the website list) I am preparing to offer two Ditson II kits, these kits will offer the buyer the opportunity to build a guitar that matches the specs of the middle size Ditson guitar that was built by Martin for Oliver Ditson Co. beginning in 1916. These kits offer the wide waisted "baby dreadnought" shape in a guitar with an 0 sized lower bout. This offering will be the first time that I am aware of any such kit being offered by any vendor. In addition to that I am currently preparing a kit that will allow the buyer to build a guitar in the 19th century size 2, probably in style 21.