Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Side bender
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:09 pm 
Here is a side bender I built. It's a cross between the Fox/Blues Creek and LMII bender. It uses the LMII blanket and temperature controller. The press screws are from Rockler. I bought the 80/20 aluminum parts, and the HDPE on eBay. Everything else is made on my CNC.. I really like the design because it is adjustable. I can use it with a ukulele or a guitar forms. Works like a champ!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Side bender
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 pm 
Koa
Koa

Really nice work! I like your approach and the 8020 makes for a clean build. How did you finish the parts that are black?

I used 8020 to build a bender that is kind of like a Doolin bender with a pneumatic tensioned slat.
Attachment:
Way Bender.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:59 pm 
Hi Brad

The black parts are black High Density Poly Ethylene.

The white parts are an ultra-lite plywood core, with a white phenolic face

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Rienk
Last Name: Ayers
City: Santa Maria
State: California
Focus: Build
Loudspeakerboy wrote:
Here is a side bender I built. It's a cross between the Fox/Blues Creek and LMII bender. It uses the LMII blanket and temperature controller. The press screws are from Rockler. I bought the 80/20 aluminum parts, and the HDPE on eBay. Everything else is made on my CNC.. I really like the design because it is adjustable. I can use it with a ukulele or a guitar forms. Works like a champ!

I like it!
I'm actually making a similar sidebender based off of the LMI style - but also with the capability to do cut-aways.
However, the big advantage of the LMI unit IMHO is the cantilevered clamps, so that you can put your parts in from the side - really handy with cutaways - especially when you need to take them out.

I just finished machining the UHMW parts, but had to run to the store today to get some more taps for the extrusion cross locks... I hope to have that part done tomorrow. Then I'll finish cutting out the wood parts.

My design is also an attempt to be able to use both the LMI bout clamps, as well as the fox style.
I'm going to make cut files available to whomever might want them (I also have cut files available for the Spanish style plate jointer, similar to the LMI unit).

I love to see a kindred spirit tackle projects like this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:58 pm 
I think I like making the tools almost as much as the guitar build. It's fun to think about interesting ways to tackle certain parts of the construction.

It'd be great to have the files for the plate jointer!

Cheers, Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Brad Way wrote:
Really nice work! I like your approach and the 8020 makes for a clean build. How did you finish the parts that are black?
I used 8020 to build a bender that is kind of like a Doolin bender with a pneumatic tensioned slat.

Brad, are you willing to share further information on your slat tensioning system?
I've seen a few, and of course really like the Taylor system, but would like something a little simpler.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I finally got around to putting together the parts of my new side bender design.
This is what I consider the best combination of features. it uses cantilevered presses like the LMI so that you can load/unload from the side, but it allows you to use either/both the LMI or Blues Creek type rollers on the forms. I also have a different cutaway press that allows for a quick-connect strap on the front, so that it balances the tension load on both the front and back sides... not sure if it is needed, but I allowed for it in the machining, just in case (I'll show pictures of that part when I've assembled the next bending machine - I'm making four).
This one has the cut outs for the LMI controller, which is what my buddies at PBG use, but for mine I'll have a different cutout to insert the heat controller and timer like BCG and others use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:11 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: David
Last Name: Eddy
City: Mandeville
State: La
Zip/Postal Code: 70448
My bender. I use the outside of the form on the cutaway! I pull the steel slats with cables at 250lbs of pressure with a pneumatic cylinder (11" of stroke), 125lbs on each slat. I pull straight down & then clamp the outer form on and make my second bend. Works great! I also enjoy welding!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:01 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Dkeddy27 wrote:
My bender. I use the outside of the form on the cutaway! I pull the steel slats with cables at 250lbs of pressure with a pneumatic cylinder (11" of stroke), 125lbs on each slat. I pull straight down & then clamp the outer form on and make my second bend. Works great! I also enjoy welding!

That looks nice!
I would love to see more pictures of that bender - especially of the pneumatic arms. A real treat would be to see a video of it (even if not bending wood, maybe moving the pieces around in a demo).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I will, as soon as all the crazy Mardi Gras festivals stop after Fat Tuesday! New Orleans is really wild right now, just finishing up with the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Dkeddy27 wrote:
I will, as soon as all the crazy Mardi Gras festivals stop after Fat Tuesday! New Orleans is really wild right now, just finishing up with the Super Bowl.

I've been there during Mardi Gras a couple of times (for trade shows... I wonder what's really on the organizers' minds). we tried to stay away from Bourbon Street, but the best 'gator tail' I've ever had was there, and have had some incredible crawdad feasts!

Looking forward to seeing more your neat little system!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:18 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Here is my Side Bender with a mold in it, as well as the waist and cutaway cauls installed.
I hope to be bending some sides next week!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 pm 
Koa
Koa

Rienk wrote:
Brad Way wrote:

Brad, are you willing to share further information on your slat tensioning system?
I've seen a few, and of course really like the Taylor system, but would like something a little simpler.

Here is a picture of the upper frame of my bender. Basically the slat wraps around both sides of the cross bar (to form and loop). By applying air to the pneumatic cylinders the cross bar is pushed and creates tension on the slats. Based on the size of the cylinders the tension can be upwards of 250 lbs (125 lbs is plenty). Hope this helps.

Attachment:
Bender Slat.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 pm 
Koa
Koa

Dkeddy27 wrote:

Any way you can show more pictures how this works? Looks interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I sure will Brad! Is soon as the Mardi Gras mambo stops on Tuesday!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:48 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Nice!

Rienk, what size extrusion are you using there?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Mattia Valente wrote:
Nice!
Rienk, what size extrusion are you using there?

Here is my parts list from McMaster Carr.

Part Number
47065T107 . . . Aluminum Inch T-slotted Framing System, Six-slot Double, 1"x2" Solid Extrusion, 4' Length
47065T155 . . . Aluminum Inch T-slotted Framing System, Concealed 90 Degree Connector, For 1" Extrusion
5096A14 . . . . . Press Screw, 9" Max Screw Length
91780A187 . . . Aluminum Female Threaded Hex Standoff, 1/4" Hex, 3/4" Length, 10-32 Screw Size
47065T92 . . . . Aluminum Inch T-slotted Framing System, Double End Cap, For 1" Extrusion
4296A57 . . . . . Impact-resistant Uhmw Polyethylene Sheet, Black, 1/2" Thick, 24" X 24"

Plus some 3/4" 10-32 screws, and a small piece of 15mm plywood for the base.
I would try a different plastic next time, as machining the UHMW on my router was a pain.
I would also switch to "round" standoffs.
You only need 12"x12" of plastic per bending press (one for waist, one for cutaway).

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:13 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup, thanks! I have sources for reasonably price extrusion (CNC suppliers), although nobody on this side of the pond seems to have press screws for normal money. Axminster has some that might work but aren't ideal for retrofitting into this sort of thing. Have plenty of phenolic, so I'll use that for other bits.