Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rhino 6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:53 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

Anyone using Rhino 6? There is an early promotion until May 15th to upgrade from earlier versions.
https://www.rhino3d.com/6/new/grasshopper

I've been using Rhino 4 for years and had planned an eventual update to Rhino 5 when I noticed this- with the promotion its actually cheaper than going to 5!

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Rhino 6
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:39 am 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Focus: Build
I was a long time Rhino user until Fusion 360 came out. I resisted, but eventually it just made no sense to stick with Rhino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: Saul Koll (Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:57 pm)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:09 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Leo
Last Name: Pedersen
City: Bowen Island
State: British Columbia
Zip/Postal Code: V0N 1G2
I'm using Rhino6 and 5.

Really enjoying the display performance improvement over 5. Much snappier.

Love the improvements to Grasshopper too.

Only thing I still need 5 for is madCAM, but a new release for Rhino6 is imminent.

If you use Rhino 4 I think it's crazy not to take advantage of the upgrade price!

These users thanked the author Durero for the post: Saul Koll (Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:17 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:00 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rand
Last Name: Kennedy
State: CO
Saul, V6 will not support the now abandoned by Autodesk T-splines or Virtual Shape (Shape modeling) plug-in's, or any others not updated for V6. For some reason I thought you were using one or both of those. V5 supports both.

These users thanked the author RandK for the post: Saul Koll (Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:31 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:33 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Stuart
Last Name: Gort
For modeling....I've used Rino, Fusion 360, MasterCam, and Solidworks.

Solidworks is, by far, the most versatile of the four in terms of creating organic surfaces. But...it really comes down to what you're comfortable with. I became so comfortable with SW over the years that it doesn't make any sense to switch for me. I never gave Rino a real chance. I DID use it extensively because of some pretty cool modules you could plug into it, Expander, for instance, allowed me to flatten out the curved shapes of a propeller so that you could cut carbon weave into flat shapes that would fit perfectly back into the curved mold. It worked perfectly. I mention it because it worked SO well. There's a lot of good engineering going on there at Rino.

Using Fusion 360 appeals to me immensely...since it's a pretty cheap subscription, it has an integrated CAM system, and it's cloud based. My problem with it now is that it's quite limited with regard to certain tasks like 3D chamfers and the generation and control of organic surfaces.

StuMusic

Last edited by Stuart Gort on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

These users thanked the author Stuart Gort for the post: Saul Koll (Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:09 pm 
Koa
Koa

City: Escondido
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92029
Fusion is constantly updating. I have access to both SW and Fusion and find that Fusion doesn’t lack any functionality. It was a work in progress two years ago when it was released, but it’s a different experience now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These users thanked the author rlrhett for the post: Saul Koll (Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:00 pm)