Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:34 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

So i built a cnc not that good but its ok for me...I run it for abouty one month with no problems...then i increased the velocity of the motor and acceleration to speed them a little...suddenly the machine stopped working...what happened is this the motors became to slow and they dont even turn like they dont have any power...also when i reboot the pc befor it even load the bios it starts doing a noise the z motor...alla the lights on the machine are as they should be and nothing looks burnt...i changed the velocity and acceleration option again and the problem insists...also the fuses i have placed are ok....can someone please help me?i am desperate... i have uploaded a video showing the sound of the motors...also now only the z motor is spining and the other two no...(the pc is old and has lots of problems if this could cause the problem please tell me)

http://vid236.photobucket.com/albums/ff140/pikolo335/20150414_114445.mp4

I have new info! i Changed the parallel cable and now the noise stoped and the z axis motor is working perfect!! the other two motors still not working but being at locked position!Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:52 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Glenn
Last Name: Aycock
City: El Lago
State: Texas
Zip/Postal Code: 77586
Focus: Build
Doesn't seem like a power problem, but you may have blown the drivers on the other two axes, or check the wiring for loose connections.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

If you connect to a printer, does it work right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:02 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First name: Jamie
Last Name: Unden
City: Lakeside
State: CA
Zip/Postal Code: 92040
When the machine is off, try and turn the screw shafts by hand and make sure there is no binding. Then turn the machine on and see if they turn with the same amount of resistance. If they won't turn then they are getting power. What are you using for drivers? Geckos?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:47 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

thanks for your replies!i am using dm542a from longmotors with a breakout board!So the motors are getting power i tried to move them by hand and they are lockedwhen system is on! but they move when the system is turned off! i cant figure out what is not working..the cables qre tight too!any help?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

You need to isolate components. Since you already changed the cable, try printing with the computer to rule out the parallel port. Make sure you didn't disable the axes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Something strange is definitely going on. I truly don't know what it is but here's a few guesses.

If the motors are locked down when power is applied to your drivers, it implies that your drives are probably working.

If the motors start shaking when you turn on the PC, that implies that there's signals on the parallel port that are causing the drives to move your motors. Possibly noise.

Does the problem go away when you start Mach 3?

Do you have a good ground between the PC and the Drivers/BoB?

Have you tried re-installing Mach 3 parallel port driver?

Have you run the Mach 3 parallel port test?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

you Guys are the best!!!After alot of tries i figured out what it was!!First of all it was a faulty cheap parallel cable that burned a chip in the breakout board i found it had a tiny like drop....hole...so the motors are working on pins p6to p9 but not to p2-p5!I have connected the motors to dm in the 97 to p9 and they worked perfectly!!I am going to replace he chip!!or buy a new breakout board... Some more things to ask thoug....the machine is build with cheap screws that move 1.25 mm per turn....also how many microsteps should i make it run?The best settings i mean...cause it were very slow...i also noticed that dm542a has auto tuning...but it didnt work....Lastly i think i will build another machine and keep the same electronics as i am on low budget , isio i am thinking of momus cnc but a little bit longer maybe or with screws?Can you recomend something?