PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:05 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Robert
Last Name: Cefalu
City: Buffalo
State: NY
Zip/Postal Code: 14217
I'm having trouble machining the radius of a fretboard. I made a new fixture out of double 3/4" HDPE for a tapered FB. I milled my spoilboard to get a new clean surface and checking with a level in all directions it looks balls on. However when machining with a 1" round nose carbide bit the FB is thicker along the Y1 axis than the Y2 axis by some .040 I am running the bit lengthwise parallel to the Y axis with a .020 stepover. I have checked and rechecked all my drawing dimensions and every one is on the money. Looking at the radius from 1 end it looks like the radius has just started the decline about 1/8" from the Y2 edge. Looks like the FB is too low in the fixture on that side. I know that HDPE cups along the length that's why I doubled it and screwed it down to the SP. Is it possible that the HDPE could vary that much. The fixture is 6" x 30" with a recess to hold the FB The recess is dead center in the fixture. I have a laser beam with a 1/2 shank that chucks into a tool holder and it also shows the FB dead center of the fixture. One more thing... I did not mill the surfaces of the HDPE. I just assumed it would be flat. Any suggestions. I'm using Rhino 5.0 & Madcam/ WinCNC processor.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

Post subject: Re: Radius FB problem
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Rand
Last Name: Kennedy
State: CO
Focus: Build
Face your fixture flat with a .5 EM or larger, just as you've probably done with your whole spoilboard surface. It may be relatively flat out of the box but not consistent in thickness. You can try just skimming .010 off and if you have to, reset your Z=0 and run that again until the tool has touched the entire surface. I would not use a light duty spoilboard cutter on the plastic.

Use a dial indicator gauge to check things like the flatness of the fixture surface by slowly jogging over it. I have one that mounts in a spindle collet that I use for alignment checks, and also one mounted to a bar that I can swing down for quick checks of stuff like this. In the future you can quickly check to see if the fixture needs to be faced again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:52 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Rand I'll give that a try. I have a 1 1/2" carbide cutter for surfacing the spoil board. I think I'll have to re-cut the FB recess too?

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Sounds like your fixture might be out of alignment with your toolpath by 1/8" or so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:14 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
Sounds like your fixture might be out of alignment with your toolpath by 1/8" or so.

Sheldon I lined up my Laser cross hairs on the left hand corner of the fixture and then ran the head down the Y axis to the far end of the fixture to align it. It seems to be right on. I have 4 fixtures that all mount in the exact same position . Where would be the best place to set X0-Y0 at the lower left corner of the fixture which should always be the same or at the lower left corner of the part which I would have to reset every time I change fixtures. I work with Z-0 off the top of the spoil board.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bob,

When I read your post, my first thought was out of alignment like Sheldon mentioned. .040" would be a lot of out of tolerance for an extruded product, which I am pretty sure the HDPE is.

Bob you mentioned aligning everything off the edge of the fb fixture. Have you checked and rechecked your model in Rhino?

Did you build your model on a centerline, or even a half at a time and mirror it to get the whole? If you are registering off the edge, could it be possible that the edge is not correct? Just thinking out loud!

Try centering the machine on the centerline at the wide end, then doing a manual move to the Rhino dimensions to where the corners should be and check that with your laser. Again, just thinking out loud....hopefully some this thinking will help you find the issue.

BTW, what kind of machining strategy did you use in Madcam? Did you set your boundries with a region curve?

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:45 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

turmite wrote:
Bob,

When I read your post, my first thought was out of alignment like Sheldon mentioned. .040" would be a lot of out of tolerance for an extruded product, which I am pretty sure the HDPE is.

Bob you mentioned aligning everything off the edge of the fb fixture. Have you checked and rechecked your model in Rhino?

Did you build your model on a centerline, or even a half at a time and mirror it to get the whole? If you are registering off the edge, could it be possible that the edge is not correct? Just thinking out loud!

Try centering the machine on the centerline at the wide end, then doing a manual move to the Rhino dimensions to where the corners should be and check that with your laser. Again, just thinking out loud....hopefully some this thinking will help you find the issue.

BTW, what kind of machining strategy did you use in Madcam? Did you set your boundries with a region curve?

Mike

Mike I did not mirror my model along a centerline but I could do that. Might very well be the problem. I am machining useing planer finishing and using Blend in the settings. I also have a model sent to me from Joakim in Sweden. He added a top and bottom clipping plane but that didn't work either. I am really starting to think that it's the way I drew the model. Lots of things to try. Still green at this. [xx(]

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:14 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I like Mikes advice.

One way to check you model is to draw a corner to corner flat surface above your fretboard model. You'll need to have your top view and either side or front view windows open. Highlight the flat surface, then nudge (alt down arrow) the surface downward in your front view while watching how it intersects your fretboard in the top view. It's a little like a CAT scan for fretboard curvature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:26 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Sheldon I'll try that.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bob, I sent you an email with my info in it. Send me the model you used, as well as the desired dimensions of the fretboard. I will build a new one from scratch and compare it. If the original is wrong just use the one I build, but if the original is correct you will need to look at your machine set up!

Mike

These users thanked the author turmite for the post: Bobc (Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:43 pm)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:43 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Mike I will send it tomorrow

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:52 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

Focus: Repair
We have a digital dial indicator which goes into the quick change collet fitted to the spindle,

Even jigs which have been machined on the table when removed and refitted will be slightly inaccurate again,

Most of our jigs now have adjustment grub screws at the mounting points, so we can tweak the corners up or down accordingly

You need to clock your jig in or reface it for accuracy every time you remove and refit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bob, for starters, check the machine for square and plumb etc. Have you run tests of squares etc. to measure to make sure it is calibrated properly?
Next, dump the HDPE as a fixture material. It is too unstable. Go with either a phenolic board or the material that Andy Birko is using. Whatever you use, you need to machine it flat, and carefully index it to your table.
Then, you need a really good way to reference the jigs so that you can get back to 0,0 precisely.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 pm 
Koa
Koa

I have been using MDF. It is a true spoilboard. It is cheap and you can resurface it if need be. I can get sheet after sheet of MDF from home depot until I get my setups down at which time might invest in the expensive stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:23 am 
Koa
Koa

How did it turn out Bob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:23 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Well Ken as it turns out the fixture was not parallel to the "Y" axis. Made a new fixture out of MDF and all is well.

1109 Military Rd.
Kenmore, NY 14217
(716) 874-1498

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:54 pm 
Koa
Koa

Giod to know this stuff. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ken