Walnut
Walnut

First name: Robert
Last Name: Winkel
City: Los Alamos
State: NM
Zip/Postal Code: 87544
Focus: Build
My wife is thinking of using this and is wondering what other forum users have experienced with this.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Any BobCad users?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
If you just need CAD, then Moi3D as a surface modeler or Alibre as a parametric modeler are both superior software dollar for dollar. If you need CAM, too, then look at getting Rhino + MadCAM or one of the above plus Visual Mill.

From what I've seen and heard, BobCAD's strongest point is its sales team. They cut the list price down and people think they got an amazing deal because they got XX% off. The trick, of course, is that it's not worth anywhere near the list price to begin with. They also sell their basic training for loads of cash (training that would be less necessary with well designed software) and once again convince people they're getting a great deal. They miss out on the fact that other software comes with great tutorials, basic training, and all kinds of online resources for free.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

All I will say is RUN! wow7-eyes Well, ok, run as fast as you can away from Bobcad and to Rhino/Madcam. Yes they are more money, but they are also worlds apart as far as capability and ease of use. I resell for Madcam so I have to put that caveat in, but I was a Bobcad user before I made the move and I promise you I will never, ever look back. Just for a bit of history......everything I learned in Bobcad ended up costing me precious time in having to re learn all over again!

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I use BobCAD every day, and enjoy using it. It's easy, and works decently for all my guitar-related needs. Not sure why people hate it so much, but frankly for what it costs me to upgrade once per year, it's worth it to me. I can't really afford to shell out the bigger bucks for most of the other CAD packages out there anyway. If I could afford Solidworks, I'd probably be using that. I just got the upgrade to V25 for two licenses for less than $100 each.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 am 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I use BobCad V25 for CAM, I use Rhino for CAD. I really like V25 and being able to import .STL rough shaped stock, machine simulation and the advanced rough. I wish I could have more control of entry and exit cut speeds like in RhinoCam, you can really only call for one plunge feed and cutting speed per feature in BC. I don't think I would be as happy if I did not have Rhino for CAD but the CAM side is good for what I do.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm 
Mahogany
Mahogany

I used BobCad V17 and it was a great program at the time. I upgraded at V20. It worked great. The caveat is that in my opinion, the BobCad sale tactic has to be on par with the worst I've ever experienced. They don't and won't ever stop calling you. I swear they call every week. I'd never buy from them again based on that annoyance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:21 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Vincent
Last Name: Locicero
City: Hillsboro
State: OR
Zip/Postal Code: 97123
Focus: Build
Jim_Beam wrote:
My wife is thinking of using this and is wondering what other forum users have experienced with this.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Hi All-
New to the forum but not to Bobcad.
I own V24-
If there are are any other options out there I would try them first.
I use it almost daily and wish I went another way.