Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:18 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I crashed my spindle speeder hard today. Going to have to start using my air spindle instead. I'd have done this sooner but can't think of an elegant solution to handle the air delivery.

How are you guys hooking up the air to your air spindles? I'd like to leave mine in the tool changer but can't leave an air line hooked up to it if I do. Leave a short line and add an M30 command before and after the operation to plug and unplug the tool?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: Zeke
Last Name: McKee
City: Goodlettsville
State: TN
Zip/Postal Code: 37070
Focus: Build
You would want to use an M00 rather than an M30. M00 is a program stop where an M30 is the end of program and resets the machine. But that seems like a good solution to me. Just do a simple

M00
(DISCONNECT AIR HOSE)
T_ M06
M00
(CONNECT AIR HOSE)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:51 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

What's the difference between M00 and M01? I've been using M01 with Mach 3 and it does what I need but it looks like maybe they behave the same in practice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

A M01 is an optional stop. On some machines you have an optional stop button. When this is turned on it will stop at all M01 when not turned on it will skip over the M01.

A M00 is a program stop. The machine will always stop when it reaches an M00.

I always put a M01 before tool changes so that when verifying the machine is setup correctly on the first part it will stop before moving to the next operation. But then I turn off the optional stop for production and it skips over it. Makes verifying the program easier IMO.

I've never used mach3 but I assume there is probably an optional stop setting or parameter somewhere. If so you may want to get in the habit of using M00. Just in case that parameter gets set to off accidentally the machine will not stop where you want with an M01. Also if in the future you use a machine with the op stop feature it would be good to already be in the habit of using M00. Just a thought.

I hope that helps some. If ya got any other gcode questions feel free to ask. It's my second language. I rarely use CAM, but I write Gcode nearly everyday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:56 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks Zeke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:15 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

No problemo :) glad that I could be of assistance. Hope that solves your problem.

I only you could rig up an automatic air hose connect/disconnect. That would be sweet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:41 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
I never found a need for more than 12 tools, and I left my turbine in the last position with the hose running out a hole in the back of the machine. Never got tangled.

You should also get a solenoid and a relay and use one of the optional M codes on the Fadal (M60 or M61 was what I was using before the KFLOP) to turn it on and off.

If you have more than one air turbine, it gets more complicated, but you can probably use one at each end (T1 and T12) if you make sure to use coiled hose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:52 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks Bob. Do you have a photo of that setup?

Side note: ran air to my rebuilt spindle yesterday and found it spins in reverse. I'm going to be down longer than I thought.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:39 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Sheldon Dingwall wrote:
Thanks Bob. Do you have a photo of that setup?

Side note: ran air to my rebuilt spindle yesterday and found it spins in reverse. I'm going to be down longer than I thought.

Sorry, no pics. The air line ran through the back wall of the machine directly behind the ATC and the solenoid was mounted there. There's stuff in the manual on how to wire them up IIRC.

It's funny that they put the 'turbine' on upside down; they usually have some writing on them from QC or somesuch so it should be obvious which way is up. They're somewhat annoying to get apart, since they use a nut requiring an unobtainium spanner wrench to hold the nose in, but if you do get it apart the turbine (white plastic disc) screws on and off the top of the shaft so you can just screw it off and flip it. OTOH, then you'd have the company claiming you screwed it up in the first place :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thanks Bob. I'm shipping it back to them today. I should have it back before week's end if all goes well.

Mine's an old 201JS, I can't believe the cost on a new 602JS. Ouch.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

The 602 is a pretty hardcore tool; the 201 only has one nose bearing. OTOH, you can get four 201's for the price of a 602 and since it's usually a crash that ends up leading to a reman, those ceramic bearings aren't going to help...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:05 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

201's are now discontinued. They told me today that this will be the last rebuild. Crashes from here on in will cost $2.5K. Makes me wonder if one of these would work as well if it was adapted to a tool holder.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... ng-spindle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Walter
Last Name: J
Bob Garrish wrote:
The 602 is a pretty hardcore tool; the 201 only has one nose bearing. OTOH, you can get four 201's for the price of a 602 and since it's usually a crash that ends up leading to a reman, those ceramic bearings aren't going to help...

Bob,
In your opinion, what's the life expectancy for this type of spindle (602 or 700 series)? Say compared to 48-60k rpm Colombo:

http://www.gcolombo.eu/prodotto.htm?p=33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

WalterJ wrote:
Bob Garrish wrote:

Bob,
In your opinion, what's the life expectancy for this type of spindle (602 or 700 series)? Say compared to 48-60k rpm Colombo:

http://www.gcolombo.eu/prodotto.htm?p=33

It comes down to bearings in the end on this stuff. I suspect the Colombo is going to have beefier bearings, but it's also going to have more rotating mass. No idea what the cost is on those Colombo spindles, but I can say for sure the operating cost will be much lower. Running a "0.1hp" air turbine eats up 3hp worth of compressed air, so you'd be looking at a big pile of compressed air to match the 0.6hp that Colombo can put out.

I can only go on my experiences with the lower end turbines (201JS) and my gut on this, but I'd say you're probably better off in general with an electrospindle at 1.5-2X the price VS a turbine. Once you see the guts of one of the air spindles you'll get awfully tempted to just make one yourself, given the costs...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 am 
Walnut
Walnut

First name: Walter
Last Name: J
Thank you!