Walnut

First name: M
Last Name: W
City: Edmonton
State: Alberta
Zip/Postal Code: t5t5t5
Focus: Build
Greetings! :]

SO after much scouring of the interwebz and coming up with nothing I found my way into this forum and seems like a pretty solid place to share ideas and projects, hence I made this account and this thread. I understand I truly havent done my time on this forum so forgive if I simply jump into making a thread and expecting answers :P

Basically what Im looking for is a DXF/DWG plan for a violin rib Jig.. Seems the most common answer is trace the profle off of a poster or diagram and make one by hand however as this is my first violin id like to have a perfect jig to help make things smooth until I have enough experience to work with the little imperfections that give a project violin its character. I wouldn't DREAM of making the instrument itself using the CNC machines but a solid foundation would be awesome.

I am a seasoned fabricator and have access to both a CNC water jet and a CNC router, unfortunately my AutoCAd skills are absolutely awful and havent been able to find a solid source to have one made. Ive had zero luck in trying to convert raster images and of these the best seem to come out completly out of proportion. Ive also had a run at finding molds up for sale but none have been entirely what they claim to be... either the block notches are concave (which just reeks of frustration) or the paper plans are incomplete or drastically overpriced.

So if anyone has any resources, files, links to reliable websites and plans or suggestions it would all be much appreciated idunno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:06 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

First name: John
Last Name: Parchem
City: Seattle
State: Wa
Zip/Postal Code: 98177
Focus: Build
Try Waldron Instruments http://www.luthiermaterials.com/. I think they have made 3d models of a violin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:46 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
A search on CNCZone will probably turn something up, and likely a Googling of "violin DXF" will turn up some usable contours.