Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

So, of the two which is better? Is RhinoCAM worth the $200 more? Are either of these able to handle the things guitar related. I want to eventually to bridges and carved plates for violins, mandolins and archtop guitars, will these do all of these things? I am having troubles with the CAM I have and maybe I just need to start new to get things running.

Thanks

Shane

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:38 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello Shane,

I might be able to shed some light on this for you...

I am not a Rhino user (I use Solidworks to model, and Mastercam to machine) but during my evaluation phase of CAD/CAM softwares, I used VisuallMill from Mechsoft. These are the same folks that produce RhinoCAM for Rhino.

My experience was nothing less than positive. In fact, if I was not using Mastercam, I would be using their product. I found it easy to use, straight forward and intuitive. I also found their tech support to be quite excellent.

In addition, if you look around other forums, most folks that use Rhino, seem to be also using RhinoCAM for their machining, and this might also say something....

Hope this helps you out....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:16 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I'd recommend VisualMill instead of RhinoCAM. The reason being, if you upgrade Rhino, you have to upgrade RhinoCAM at the same time. That can be hard on the wallet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 pm 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
Focus: Build
I've used solidworks, rhino, rhinocam, and mastercam. I think that it is really hard to beat the value of Rhino and RhinoCAM. VisualMill is basically the same thing as RhinoCAM, so my sentiments should extend to that version of the software as well.

Even if I was running a full time shop, I don't think I could justify the expense of MasterCAM over that of RhinoCAM/VM. I could definitely justify solidworks if I was a "Pro". Even so, when I was doing this stuff as a Pro, I still used Rhino for certain things in addition to SolidWorks. Rhino is better at some things (like dealing with huge point clouds).

Trev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Have any of you guys tried Madcam? If not, may I suggest you give it a try then compare.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:15 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
I think the advice to buy Visual Mill is very wise, financially. I have a copy of MadCAM that I bought when I originally bought Rhino, but it doesn't work in Rhino 4 (ie: burned money). Buying RhinoCAM makes no sense...it's less capability for the SAME PRICE as Visual Mill. MadCAM has a couple features that Visual Mill doesn't, and which I use (check surfaces, curve machining)

At current pricing, MadCAM AND the upgrade price if it doesn't work with Rhino 5....is still less than Visual Mill basic and it includes some features that will be useful to you. MadCAM expert also has some features that are extremely useful (and which Visual Mill Pro has) and, if you ever need them, it's only $2000 instead of $6000 for Visual Mill Pro.

So, cost to features (even including the risk that you might need to pay $200 to upgrade if you upgrade Rhino in the future) MadCAM wins both on features and price. Odds are you'll never use the extra features...but it's cheaper anyhow so there's no loss there!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:38 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks Bob,

Mike Turner (turmite) has been very good with MadCAM and help so I might just stick with it. My issue right now is file size. The post process to helix bore 64 holes in my table for threaded inserts is 2.4K. So I am working on networking my computer and controller as my controller only has a 1.4 k floppy for accepting files......I wish I was smarter!! Precix has been great about walking me through upgrading the controller but I think I will get one of the local computer techs to assist in this process. I have a bunch of work lined up that I really need to get this machine doing!

Thanks for your help the other day as well!

Shane

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:40 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bob Garrish wrote:
I think the advice to buy Visual Mill is very wise, financially. I have a copy of MadCAM that I bought when I originally bought Rhino, but it doesn't work in Rhino 4 (ie: burned money).

Bob did you contact Joakim about an upgrade? I know you may not need it now, but at one time he had a real deal on upgrading to Madcam 4, and I suspect he will do the same with Madcam5, if that is what he calls it.

If you will pm me your email address, I will forward to Joakim and have him contact you directly. We need another "power" user!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:35 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Shane Neifer wrote:
Thanks Bob,

Mike Turner (turmite) has been very good with MadCAM and help so I might just stick with it. My issue right now is file size. The post process to helix bore 64 holes in my table for threaded inserts is 2.4K. So I am working on networking my computer and controller as my controller only has a 1.4 k floppy for accepting files......I wish I was smarter!! Precix has been great about walking me through upgrading the controller but I think I will get one of the local computer techs to assist in this process. I have a bunch of work lined up that I really need to get this machine doing!

Thanks for your help the other day as well!

Shane

You're messing up units, Shane. The floppy drive is 1.44 Megs where 1M = 1024K.

That's assuming it's helix boring with curves (G2 or G3)...something really screwed up in the filtering if it's using 40K per bore!

Just as a frame of reference: the biggest single program I've ever made was 330K. Things can get out of hand without an arc filter, but shouldn't get that out of hand!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:20 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Yup,

I did realize I was mixing up units, and it was pointed out to me by Trev as well. Anyway, at 2.4 mb, Mike and I are going to try to adjust the tolerances to see if that was the issue. But I am also networking the controller today so that I can load files directly off this computer. I will see how that goes.

Thanks Bob, your 'heads up' always gets things moving again!

Shane