Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:13 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Does anyone out there have a .dxf file of a violin top they would be willing to share?
A guy who has helped me out tremendously with my cnc project is looking for one, so I told him I'd try to find one.

Thanks!

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:49 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
Did you try digging around on CNCZone? I'm too busy to look myself, but I'm pretty sure that some people have posted such things on there and you'd be able to find them with the search function.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Bob,

Actually, it was a Zoner who was looking for it! I'll poke around some more there.

Actually, even if someone has a print, Craig Sullivan will scan it and turn it into a dxf tile for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:17 am 
Koa
Koa

Focus: Build
I know very little about CAD. Is a DXF file a 3D model or is it just the outline? Violin tops are unique personalities. When you buy a plan it is always for a particular instrument. So, the question is which violin does your friend want.

Our good friend Al has done some interesting work on the arch of the violin. To make a 3D model you could scan in a simple outline of top and then use the mathematical models to generate the arch. This would be a generic violin top which would need to tuned once carved.

The lateral arch is a curtate cycloid which is the curve you get if you were to tie a Sharpie to the valve stem of your tire and then drive right next to a wall.

The longitudinal arch is a simple spline or "bent stick" curve.

The curve of the inside of the top plate is very close to a constant thickness. I don't remember how thick it is, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:18 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
A DXF is a "generic" CAD format that AutoDesk came up with (AutoDesk is the company that makes AutoCAD). It literally translates to "Drawing Exchange Format" and is a format that is "open source", meaning that it is a public format and that all the CAD programmers are able to read and interpret files of this format (as opposed to proprietary formats like MasterCAM).

A DXF can contain 3D entities such as surfaces, but I believe that IGES/.igs (which I think translates to International Graphics Exchange Format) files are more standard for exchanging 3D data. DXF is more commonly used to transmit 2D cad data, or 3D wireframes. If you are playing with 3D surfaces I'd recommend using IGS.

You should be able to express most curves as a spline. Splines are very versatile curves and can be used to approximate more mathematically based curves as well as more organic curves.

I'll have to check out that curtate cycloid...haven't played with any of those yet. Back in my past life, I used to model involute curves using splines (these are the curves that define the curve on the edges of gear teeth). They came out within a couple thou, which was good enough for what we were doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:27 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

He isn't particular about which violin, just "a" violin. This is for a demonstration he is doing for his local guild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:40 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Trevor
Last Name: Lewis
City: Crownsville
State: MD
Zip/Postal Code: 21032
I'll fake one up for him...I'll post the results & a link the file once it's finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks!
He's wanting to show a violin being carved in a couple minutes flat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:25 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Bob
Last Name: Garrish
City: Toronto
State: Ontario
I hope he's got one fast spindle, like a 50K RPM that can handle a 1" ball, unless he counts a scallopy mess as a violin. The feed rate would be disturbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:42 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Yeah, I think he was exagerating a tad, but I know his machine really flys with the G203V's and the G-100.
I'm guessing he make several passes reasonably quick, and slow down for a final finish pass.