Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:33 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Ed,

Like we were talking about in the PMs, tell me about your machine. I spend time over at cncforum also and am interested in Joe's Model 2006. What machine did you base yours on?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:26 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I was following the hardware based designs and I felt square tubing may work better than the black iron pipe. Beside all the black iron pipe I found had a very rough finish.

I constructed my base out of a water resistant material similar to MDF called Extira. I used a torsion box design for the bed and bridge. the bed is so strong I can put all 300lbs of myself on it with virtualy no deflection.

I use acme screws for the drive and delrin antibacklash nuts on the axis's. I control my machine with Mach 3 software and I use a Rigid brand trim router as my spindle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:45 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I really admire the torsion box design. But only for the gantry (because it is strong, stiff, and light). For the base, the torsion box is great for levelness and rigidity. But that is what is expected. All those weight saving holes in Joe's design are (IMHO) used for shipping purposes.

Looks like you came up with a really nice design. Did you blueprint it? BTW, I really like your bending machine...

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:38 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I didn't blue print it, I just drew it out on paper and cut everything out the old fashioned way. I put it together really fast, i'm surprised iy works so well. I'v been doing a lot more with it lately so i'm thinking about putting a large router on it for more power. My Z axis won't have any problem moving it I have plenty of torque and speed. I'd like to get one of those router with quick change bits but I don't now how play there would be in their operation, what do you think?