Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Slight buzz
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:25 pm 
Walnut
Walnut

I recently built a square neck resonator guitar from scratch. I used Curly maple through out. It turned out great with the exception that sometimes I have a bit of a buzz on the two smallest strings. I don't know if the humidity has something to do with it or not. It's worse at certain times than it is at others. It was suggested that I might need to cut the slots deeper on the bridge to stop this. I bought a maple/ebony bridge from Beard Guitars. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Slight buzz
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:04 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

You're likely not getting much response because there is just not near enough info given to diagnose. There are dozens of different kinds of buzzes, with dozens of totally different causes. If you could explain where and in what context the buzzing occurs, is it isolated areas on the board, does it disappear when damped behind the fret or nut or saddle, are you sure it's a fret buzz vs. a cone or hardware rattle, does the string buzz out anywhere or just give a little rattle. etc.? Is this a biscuit bridge, or a spider or tri-cone perhaps?

Details are always welcome. Even if you think you're giving too many that aren't needed, folks will still be able to pick through and find things pertinent that you may have thought insignificant.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:23 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Since it is a square neck resonator, I assume it has a high set-up and is barred instead of fretted. So this should eliminate fret problems.

If the buzz stops when barred, check the nut slots. If not check saddle.

Make sure that the slots are deep enough, cut at a slight downward angle toward the tailpiece and cut the rite size for the diameter of the string.

I like to use a saddle as tall as possible to get a good break angle to the tailpiece. This helps keep buzzes to a minimum.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:03 am 
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood
Old Growth Brazilian Rosewood

First name: Hesh
Last Name: Breakstone
City: Ann Arbor
State: Michigan
I don't know - the title made me click on it..... :D

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:08 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Ugh, sorry - I entirely missed the words "square neck" when I read it. Still, diagnosing the buzz means figuring out where it's coming from. It's obviously not a fret buzz now, but there's still plenty of other easy rattle points in a resonator. Make sure you know where the buzz is coming from and why, you go replacing anything to fix it. You'll have to work on the diagnosis.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:35 am 
Walnut
Walnut

I really appreciate all the replies. They have given me some good starting points. After looking at my bridge I think I'll try cutting the slots a little deeper. I am wondering if the strings are slightly uneven. I noticed that this buzz happens more when I barr the strings and it seems worse when I'm at the twelfth fret. By the way the pic I used for my avatar is the reso I built. As I stated in my first post on this subject it is all curly maple with tortois shell binding and herring bone purfling. I used clear laquer as a finish.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:54 am 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

I'm curious as to what the reasoning is behind cutting slots deeper having any correlation to buzzing issues.

You have to have a good diagnosis before proceeding toward a solution. Spend some time isolating what where and how of the buzz first. There is so much hardware on one of those it would be easy to go chasing your tail. Cone to rim fit, spider to cone, cone screw, the port screens, cover to top, tailpiece to cover, ball ends under tailpiece on cover, strings to cover, backfile angle of nut and saddle, breakover angle toward the tailpiece, level string height from e to E, and plenty of other possibilities. Trouble shoot and diagnose first.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:10 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

David is right, there is several things on a resonator guitar that can cause a buzz or rattle.

Most likely if the string don't jump out of the slot while playing, it's deep enough. But if the slot is too wide the string will rattle around in the slot and make a racket.

David listed a lot of possibilities to start with.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:37 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hesh wrote:
I don't know - the title made me click on it..... :D

Wrong kind of buzz Hesh, wrong kind of buzz. ;)

Last bumped by kgeraldj on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:37 am.