Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: First Resonator Build
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:12 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Greetings to all that hang out here,
I'm about to attempt a round neck resonator. It'll be my first. I've build 25 guitars and that's going well but I've never attempted a resonator and although I've played guitar for 40 years I've had very little experience playing resonators.
I was thinking about getting my feet wet with a Beard kit. Sound good? Any other suggestions? Looks like the StewMac kit is no longer offered.
Thanks a Million

Terry Kennedy
http://www.kennedyguitars.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:23 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Hi Terry,

The Beard kits are very good for a first project. They don't come with the best of their hardware, but are pretty decent. For future builds, you may want to do some hardware upgrades. I don't know if they come with Beard's best cone or not, but if you can get them to upgrade to it, you'll be happy with that. They're terrific cones.
Please post your progress pictures !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:33 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello Terry,
I can't comment about the dobro kits because I have never built nor seen one. Everything I have built has been from start to finish with raw materials.

From the look of the guitars on your site I don't think you would have any problem building a dobro,and you probably already have most of the material on hand. So in my opinion (FWIW) I would say fore go the kit and get started. [:Y:]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

What D.L. says is probably true. You could probably just get the parts you need and build something without a "kit" per se. But that partly depends on what materials you want to use, i.e. wood species and solid wood vs plywood, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:13 am 
Koa
Koa

I sure wouldn't bother with a kit if I were you. Essentially a resonator is a regular guitar with a thick top and weird bracing. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:09 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Thanks for the info guys. I'll post pics when I get rolling. Got several guitars to finish first so it'll be a while
Terry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:20 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

First off let me say Hello,I am new here at the OLF.

Mr. Kennedy,
I would like to suggest that you just jump in on the Reso, Your experience will make the build, I would think quite easy. I am currently building my first Reso roundneck as well and it is also my first acoustic build. I will say the kit a friend of mine got from Stewmac, (when they carried it) They were made by Beard as well I believe, as the plans were his plans that came with the kit. It was not of great quality in my opinion. I would hope that his new kits are better.
Again, I would stress, that you are more than capable of doing a Reso yourself.

Here is a link to my build.
http://mikrovisions.com/reso/index.htm

I look forward to interaction with others on Guitar building in general.

Sincerely,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:26 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hello Mike and Welcome,
Just went to your site. Nice photos of the build, and Dial-Up friendly too. Looks like you are moving rite along.
Thats an interesting combination of woods, look forward to seeing it when completed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:13 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hey Mike Kroening,
I too enjoyed your pics! Keep us up to date with the reso. I really like the neck. I just got done roughing out my square neck a few nights ago(I'm way behind you). Looks like your instrument will be a gem!

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hey Mike Kroening,
I too enjoyed your pics! Keep us up to date with the reso. I really like the neck. I just got done roughing out my square neck a few nights ago(I'm way behind you). Looks like your instrument will be a gem!

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:58 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

D.L.Huskey wrote:
Hello Mike and Welcome,
Just went to your site. Nice photos of the build, and Dial-Up friendly too. Looks like you are moving rite along.
Thats an interesting combination of woods, look forward to seeing it when completed.
DL, Thank you for the compliments, I'm sorry for the dialup, I am thinking I need to break it down into more pages :)
Sincerely,
Mike

wyodave wrote:
Hey Mike Kroening,

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I hope to be posting more progress tonight on the site. Again thanks to everyone for the warm welcome as well. I'll keep ya'll up to date as things progress.
Sincerely,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:28 pm 
Brazilian Rosewood
Brazilian Rosewood

Those pics are great Mike. Very nice work. You guys are steering me towards just building it. I'll get the plans and forge ahead when I get some open time.
Thanks Again
Terry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:27 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Thank you Terry,
As I stated, you are more than capable to take on this TASK! :)

If by chance, I can be of any assistance in your project, please do not hesitate to ask.
Sincerely,
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:06 pm 
Koa
Koa

That's a fine looking box Mike!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Mike Dotson wrote:
That's a fine looking box Mike!

Thanks Mike :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:13 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Just a note about the Beard Square Neck plans that I found out this weekend. I traced the neck profile off the plans and actually measured the "side neck" drawing to make a side profile for the guitar. The "side neck" drawing isn't correct, from the nut to the 12th fret(25" scale). It's 12 1/4 instead of 12 1/2. If I hadn't left a little at the heal, I 'd have to start over. The drawing gives you the measurement from the 12th fret to the bridge, so just make sure it's the same as from the nut to the 12th fret. The plans are still ok. These plans are a few years old too so that may make a difference.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:48 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Dave,
What kind of neck to body joint is used on these plans? Mortise and tenon?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:57 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

wyodave wrote:
Just a note about the Beard Square Neck plans that I found out this weekend. I traced the neck profile off the plans and actually measured the "side neck" drawing to make a side profile for the guitar. The "side neck" drawing isn't correct, from the nut to the 12th fret(25" scale). It's 12 1/4 instead of 12 1/2. If I hadn't left a little at the heal, I 'd have to start over. The drawing gives you the measurement from the 12th fret to the bridge, so just make sure it's the same as from the nut to the 12th fret. The plans are still ok. These plans are a few years old too so that may make a difference.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Just remember that the 12th fret to the Bridge face/ string breakover point will be 12 1/2 " as you must adjust for the break point on the bridge. So the center mark of your spider will be set about 1/16 to an 1/8 inch longer. Meaning the distance to the spider center would be more like 12 9/16" for the center hole reference to allow for the bridge face and string break over point due to the thickness of the bridge so that you will get the 12 1/2 " from that point (the bridge face/ breakpoint) back to the 12th fret.
I hope that makes since?

BTW You are from the Rawlins area if I'm not mistaken? I seem to remember you on the RESO-Nation

Sincerely,
Mike aka "MiKro"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:24 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Here's a quick pic of what I mean.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:39 am 
Koa
Koa

First name: Richard
Last Name: Hutchings
City: Warwick
State: RI
Zip/Postal Code: 02889
Focus: Build
wyodave wrote:

Dave

I just ran in to the same issue this weekend working from those plans. I had already cut the neck but, like you, I left some extra at the heel and it was just enough to cover the error.

Get the heck off the couch and go build a guitar!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:21 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Ya Mike! I'm the same guy. I remember us talking about you gettin' stuck here in the winter time. You would have hated it here this winter, I 80 was closed one time for 48 hours, and then at least 2wice a week all winter! Most snow here in 20 years.
Mike, the body joint looks just bolt on-no mortise or dovetail.
Banjopics, that was almost a real "screwup" for me. When I do the next one, I've learned to leave everything a little longer and wider. I almost didn't leave enough on the whole neck. But I did get 2 necks out of my layup! So, I've got another.
Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:47 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Very Nice Dave,
Glad you have a spare!!!

I made a major screw up today. I started to locate the cover plate holes. NO problem!!! :) Next I drilled 2 holes for the brass inserts to the specs for them (called for a 9/64ths bit). Lucky I drilled only 2 :( Well I started to insert the first one and BAM!!!! the top split and the insert broke off!!! Talk about being a little UPSET!!!. It appears that it shouldv'e been 11/64ths not what was marked on the package.

Well all is not lost!! after walking away and a few, maybe three, scotches later to settle down :) .The tear out is still under the coverplate and I have removed the broken insert and filled BOTH holes with epoxy. So, now i figure standard screws.

My take on this, test your inserts and drills on scrap wood of the same type you are going to use before the REAL THING!!! :)

Oh the Pain if it all!!!!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:17 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Mike K.
If you don't mind my asking. Where do you get the inserts & screws, and what size would they be?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

D.L.Huskey wrote:
Mike K.
If you don't mind my asking. Where do you get the inserts & screws, and what size would they be?
I got them from Micro Fasteners. I used the 2-56 brass inserts. part #BTI0256

http://www.microfasteners.com/

Upon my reading the fine print of the insert. DOH!!! It says to use the slotted end for thread cutting on hardwood and use a screw and jam nut to screw it in. well, call me Dummy!!! :) Not sure that will help but I will try it!!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:06 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Hey D L
I addressed the question you had about the Beard neck to body joint to Mike. I meant to answer you. I'm sorry for the screw up.
Dave