Official Luthiers Forum!

Owned and operated by Lance Kragenbrink
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Laminated Body
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:04 pm 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

I read on a past post that a 1/8 pc of ply and another 1/8 pc of solid wood was used for a top making her 1/4 in. If this is the case, what's the right way to glue on the solid pc? I've heard of using a vacume press, but they are expensive to buy. Could you just glue it together w/lots of weight? And what about the sides and back? Laminated ply also? Plywood has glue in it, so how do you bend without using water?
Dave

Post subject: Re: Laminated Body
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:45 am 
You can glue flat ply (or veneer) to flat wood just using clamps and a caul. That's how I veneered the back of this solidbody uke. Ply will usually bend a little in one direction anyway, so I have found that for guitar tops it's not a problem even if they have an angle in them. I glue the top to the sides first and then glue the ply reinforcement to the underside of the top. It may not be the best way but it works for me.

When it comes to sides I use thin modellers' ply (about 1.5mm) and laminate several pieces together in the mould. Again it will bend OK in one direction, so you have to make sure you get a piece that will bend lengthways rather than widthways. That's the way I form biscuit bridge soundwells too. I've tried using "bendable plywood" that you can buy under various brands but I've never been able to get the curves tight enough without it breaking.

Post subject: Re: Laminated Body
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:55 am 
Cocobolo
Cocobolo

Well, that last post was me, but for some reason the board decided to kick me off in the middle of posting and wouldn't upload the picture. So here it is ...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.